Whats your view on B&O Equipment
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #31 of 39
I have a B&O 4004 turntable with the MMC20EN cartridge, and I love it. However, I have also had speakers, but with foam rot, and amps, all DOA, and a 4800 all-in-one, and that was mostly DOA. Perhaps the worst is calling up the local B&O store to find that they service only gear that is in current production. Be very cautious with this brand, especially used.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a B&O 4004 turntable with the MMC20EN cartridge, and I love it. However, I have also had speakers, but with foam rot, and amps, all DOA, and a 4800 all-in-one, and that was mostly DOA. Perhaps the worst is calling up the local B&O store to find that they service only gear that is in current production. Be very cautious with this brand, especially used.

Sorry to hear about all your DOA gear. My limited experience of living with B&O stuff (mainly old CRT TV's and TT's owned by my parents back in the 80's and early 90's) was that the build quality was pretty good. i can't comment on the durability of their more recent products, but the old ones seemed well built - they were certainly heavy enough.

The current crop of B&O hi-fi can sound pretty good. It's only a shame that B&O cost so much more than products from other companies deliver a better performance/cost ratio. I'm certain that many people on here have had experiences where they wished that the product they are lusting after looked a bit better so it could be brought home without annoying wives/husbands/gimps... To me it is that kind of person who on head-fi may well go to B&O and just pay the extra. The other buyers of B&O do it for the design and to them that is worth more than performance.

You can't fault modern B&O designs for looking like everyone else's black or silver boxes.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #33 of 39
Bang & Olufsen, aka B&O is shortened to B.O. for sound reasons! Nice clean design's with an occasional touch of rosewood, with fair to mediocre sound quality for money spent. I haven't heard their current line up in a few years, but this continues to be their rep.

Based on their nice Scan design I really tried to like the sound of a couple of their turntables but to no avail. The only way a Beogram sounds better than a Linn is if you replace the phono cartridge on the Sondek with a thumbtack! If like me, you like Scan design there is something nice in Norway, vintage Tandberg! Looks good and sounds great!

deadhorse.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #34 of 39
I have a pair of A8 headphones and love them. They're amazingly comfortable and sound great. They lack a little in the bass area but there are ways to fix it. For $160 though, I can't really say they're worth that much. They're still great headphones, but you can probably do better for the price.

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 39
I have the BeoLab 9's at home and the BeoLab 5's at my office and I just can't find any excitement in listening to music from either of them. It is not that I think they are technically bad in any way and they are definitely well built. But I miss the musical excitement and intimacy from their sound. I do not know if it is the Acoustic Lens technology which removes the livelikeness from the sound in the treble - or if it is the Class-D technology they are built on?

I might be too spoiled because I listen to 90% of my music from headphones and the BeoLabs just do not deliver what I am looking for at that price point. I am sure that there are cheaper speakers out there with better sound-Quality/price ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back