What's your top 5 best closed-back headphones for soundtracks with female vocals (epic music) and instrumentals?
Nov 3, 2016 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Spyro-N7

New Head-Fier
And they don't need an amp to get the best out of them.

I'm going to get the ATH-MSR7 + a HTC 10, but I'm not completely decided about the headphones. I don't want an amp, so the less stuff I carry with me, the better.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 3
It just so happens that i listen to the same thing stuff a lot, and i can give the oppo pm3 a solid recommendation.

It has the right amount of everything, but especially those mids. It gets it really right and makes vocals heavenly. It's more expensive though.

I've never heard the audio technicas, so i cant compare sorry.

I don't own enough closed phones for a top 5, and my senns hd448 and vmoda m80 aren't really epic/vocal music material.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Most everything that comes to mind, at least for me, are woodies - certainly fit your criteria but when you say "stuff to carry with" I'm envisioning this may be a portable/mobile setup and woodies aren't going to be as durable as more conventional plastic (or metal) cans.

Anyways, in order of my preference:
- ATH-W5000
- HP-DX1000
- ATH-W1000X
- KH-K1000 (I think are discontinued, are not woodies)
- ATH-ESW9

None of them explicitly *require* a dedicated amp - they're all fairly low impedance, high sensitivity models, but of course source/amp quality will, as always, factor into how good of an overall setup you've got. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back