What's your take on EMI filters?
Jan 3, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Crow

Head-Fier
I've read lots of scattered, conflicting info about EMI filters here on head-fi. Some like them while others hate them. To start, here are some points I'd love to settle:

Are the higher current models usually better than the lower current ones (i.e. 20A brick vs 6A IEC)? Is it beneficial to connect them to each other (multi-stage)? What is the preferable construction of such devices? Can we come to a consensus about their positive and negative effects on SQ?

I have some understanding of their characteristics but I'd rather see it discussed as my ideas could be totally off...

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 2
It's not easy to generalize about the answers to any of those questions. The affect of filtering is determined by a huge number of variables, including the basic power handling of the gear in the system, the design of the filter in the conditioner, whether it regenerates, the quality of power incoming from the outlet, etc., etc.

You'll never find a universal consensus about power-related tweaks. It's best to try them for yourself and gain experience that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back