What's your preferred amplification for the AKG K/Q7xzy family of cans?
Dec 28, 2014 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oktyabr

100+ Head-Fier
I see some owners saying that "tube warmth" can really bring a pair of these to life.  Others say the reliable current and low output impedance of a good solid state amp is the way to go.  Last but not least many seem pleased with a tube hybrid, like the Schiit Vali.  I want to spend roughly $200, don't care if it's portable or not (portable is ok if it can be used while charging, and is a good match for these particular cans), might consider a DAC into the equation as well but not important enough to double that budget (or cut the value of the amp itself.)

Feel free to make recommendations too based on *your first hand experience with one of these cans and the amp you are recommending.*

Thanks in advance!

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 8
It's really up to you and what kind of sound are you looking for. If you like your AKG's sound signature, then you can safely aim for transparency (Schiit Magni, JDS O2)

You can read comparisons between them here and on other websites. To sum up both are very detailed and neutral, with really low distortion and low output impedance, definitely close to the ideal amp (in terms of audibility)

I haven't got a chance to try the O2 yet, but it seems that the bass is just a tad fuller in comparison with the Magni (hardly noticeable even for trained ears) and while Magni might appear as slightly thinner sounding, the treble is perfectly clean and smooth while O2 treble is a bit sharper for some. In terms of soundstage capabilities some blind testings gave the edge to the Magni, but differences were again really subtle and not probably enough to make a choice based on them.
Magni is more powerful, but anyway both are powerful.

If you don't like your AKGs very much and you want them to be warmer, smoother, less analytical, then you could try some tube amps, or change the headphone for the one with the sound signature you like better.

That said, AKGs K701/K702 sound very similiar. Q701 might sound similar too.
K702 Annies might sound fuller/warmer, same for K712 (even fuller and darker, I think)

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply!

I've honestly only owned one pair of these, some K701s I kept for a year and then sold on a whim because the headband caused me discomfort.  I ordered a pair of K712 right before Christmas and have yet to receive them.  About four years has passed between those two but I'm reasonably sure that I like the AKG "house sound".  

I have a solid state desktop amp, a Creek OBH-11, that I purchased with the K701.  I don't ever remember this combination as sounding "bright" or "thin" or lacking in any way.  If anything I noticed that the songs I enjoyed listening to shifted quite a bit to the point where I really preferred music that blossomed with the K701s, usually much better recordings (and masters), typically in FLAC.  My lower quality files and even some of my FLACs of older recordings (mostly 70's and 80's rock) weren't typically very fun to listen to on them so I simply didn't.  This pair of headphones literally changed my listening preferences over about a year.  Does that mean they are too "analytical", "sterile" or "lifeless", like some of their detractors suggest?  I don't think so.  Rather the recordings I didn't like so much simply weren't up to quality that my K701s revealed to be possible in decidedly better recordings.

I've read just about every thread (and most every page, hundreds of them) on this family of headphones trying to develop a consensus.   As I already own a solid state amp that I have no problems with (yet) I've been leaning towards buying something with a tube in it, just to be able to experience both ends of the spectrum, so yes, recommendations are happily considered.  But I guess what I really want is just to see what a sampling of more experienced owners than me (with these headphones and a variety of amps) seem to prefer, hence the poll.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 8
From what I've read the O2 and Magni are nearly identical, and that the Vali is very similar to the Magni.  The Vali apparently does NOT have that "tubey" warmth as a hybrid amp.  It would seem you're not going to see much difference between Schiit and JDS.

I don't have any input on little dot products, but I do have a question... where are they produced??  I googled and didn't have much luck...

I'd put my money on the ($200 kit) Project Sunrise.  It compares to the Schiit Lyr ($450) from what I see here.  But my goodness what an eyesore! 
blink.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 8
  From what I've read the O2 and Magni are nearly identical, and that the Vali is very similar to the Magni.  The Vali apparently does NOT have that "tubey" warmth as a hybrid amp.  It would seem you're not going to see much difference between Schiit and JDS.

I don't have any input on little dot products, but I do have a question... where are they produced??  I googled and didn't have much luck...

I'd put my money on the ($200 kit) Project Sunrise.  It compares to the Schiit Lyr ($450) from what I see here.  But my goodness what an eyesore! 
blink.gif

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm considering the Magni+Modi, possibly "uber", the O2+ODAC or the G1217 Project Sunrise III... although I guess that's an OTL and from what I've read they have problems feeding enough current into such headphones.  I could be VERY wrong about that, however.  As for the Little Dot I think you might find the answers here:  http://www.littledot.net/forum/index.php

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 8
  It's really up to you and what kind of sound are you looking for. If you like your AKG's sound signature, then you can safely aim for transparency (Schiit Magni, JDS O2)

You can read comparisons between them here and on other websites. To sum up both are very detailed and neutral, with really low distortion and low output impedance, definitely close to the ideal amp (in terms of audibility)

I haven't got a chance to try the O2 yet, but it seems that the bass is just a tad fuller in comparison with the Magni (hardly noticeable even for trained ears) and while Magni might appear as slightly thinner sounding, the treble is perfectly clean and smooth while O2 treble is a bit sharper for some. In terms of soundstage capabilities some blind testings gave the edge to the Magni, but differences were again really subtle and not probably enough to make a choice based on them.
Magni is more powerful, but anyway both are powerful.

If you don't like your AKGs very much and you want them to be warmer, smoother, less analytical, then you could try some tube amps, or change the headphone for the one with the sound signature you like better.

That said, AKGs K701/K702 sound very similiar. Q701 might sound similar too.
K702 Annies might sound fuller/warmer, same for K712 (even fuller and darker, I think)

I just got my K712 today and they only have a few hours on them (I think, anyway... they are factory refurbished)  on my Creek OBH-11.  They are definitely NOT as thin or surgically detailed as I remember my K701 on the same amp.  Their bass and lower mids are right there with my closed back ATH-M50, a can that is known for being "bassy".  I'm not sure I'm really looking for a warmer amp anymore...  just something with better control (more current on tap) and higher definition, if possible.  My K712 are "fuller and darker" than I remember my 701 being.

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 8
  I just got my K712 today and they only have a few hours on them (I think, anyway... they are factory refurbished)  on my Creek OBH-11.  They are definitely NOT as thin or surgically detailed as I remember my K701 on the same amp.  Their bass and lower mids are right there with my closed back ATH-M50, a can that is known for being "bassy".  I'm not sure I'm really looking for a warmer amp anymore...  just something with better control (more current on tap) and higher definition, if possible.  My K712 are "fuller and darker" than I remember my 701 being.

beerchug.gif

Both JDS ODAC+O2 and Schiit Modi/Magni should do the trick with ease.

Happy New Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back