What's your pick for best i-pod Classic active speakers?
May 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #16 of 33
Hey guys....I bought a used AUDICA MPS-1 and it looks great and well kept...no scratch marks or some sort...heavy but it gives the solid feeling and robust but yet sweet n sleek. Mind you, if you google the pics..they are like aircraft wing panels...LOL....he said he hardly used it and it's only 10 months old. It was a really cool bargain as he's.....let's just say...he wants an upgrade.
Sound wise....pretty amazing..what came out from the speakers. Especially it's a line out from my i-pod on lossless by passing the i-pod amp. Cool and the music sounds louder. Hmm...bass wise...nothing that will shake the picture frame in my bedroom but it's enough for a small space especially if it's for a study desk. They flanks my i-Mac and looks really nice. I'm a happy man....for now till another upgrade...Being a newbie...I guess I am in content. 

May 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 33
The Kanto speakers are very well built and sound great. The have a great warranty. I have personally heard these and think they peform very well for their price. Ease of use!!

I owned the KRK Rokit RP 8 G2, those monitors sound great but the Kanto's arguable have a comparible sound signature and have the features your looking for.

May 1, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 33

Quote:
congrats, btw ive noticed it sounds better if you drive the amp harder, ie dont use the sensitive input (source 1)

Thanks...I didn't realize about the sensitive input 1. Well input is for my i-mac and input 2 for my i pod (direct line out by passing the ipod amp) and it really does sound so much better like that. Why is source 1 more sensitive? Is it made that way? Used speakers don't come with manual...LOL

Guess what ..it got nothin' to do with audio but I think the bright blue standby led light is way too bright,...like it can lit the whole bedroom when all lights are out....seriously. But then again...I can always cover it with my coffee mug.

Well, I hope it's it a good buy....for now. I've been moving it around and I found out that a slight inward direction and about 6 inches above the desk is the ultimate listening position, tweaking here n there. The speakers wires are rather thin though.

May 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
The Kanto speakers are very well built and sound great. The have a great warranty. I have personally heard these and think they peform very well for their price. Ease of use!!

I owned the KRK Rokit RP 8 G2, those monitors sound great but the Kanto's arguable have a comparible sound signature and have the features your looking for.

....I wish I could sample them and listen to them but unfortunetly not...I have to settle with my Audica MPS-1 for now. But if one day I cam across Kanto I will surely give Kanto a chance to swipe my feet off the ground...

May 2, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 33

Quote:

Thanks...I didn't realize about the sensitive input 1. Well input is for my i-mac and input 2 for my i pod (direct line out by passing the ipod amp) and it really does sound so much better like that. Why is source 1 more sensitive? Is it made that way? Used speakers don't come with manual...LOL

Guess what ..it got nothin' to do with audio but I think the bright blue standby led light is way too bright,...like it can lit the whole bedroom when all lights are out....seriously. But then again...I can always cover it with my coffee mug.

Well, I hope it's it a good buy....for now. I've been moving it around and I found out that a slight inward direction and about 6 inches above the desk is the ultimate listening position, tweaking here n there. The speakers wires are rather thin though.

http://www.audica.co.uk/download%20mps1.html  manuals and stuff

oh i agree about the blue led, whats more annoying is that its even brighter than the white one!  still 2 suggestions a little bit of blue tack or a black felt tip pen.  also you know the speakers have little stands to angle them up?

May 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
http://www.audica.co.uk/download%20mps1.html  manuals and stuff

oh i agree about the blue led, whats more annoying is that its even brighter than the white one!  still 2 suggestions a little bit of blue tack or a black felt tip pen.  also you know the speakers have little stands to angle them up?

Thanks for the tips. I was browsing the pics of the Audica MPS-1 system and discovered that there's a stand for i-pod and it look nice from Audica. Would that be any significant changes in terms of sounds quality, I mean it is still line out right n not using the 3.5 headphone jack? Doesn't seems to work with the original i-pod dock.

May 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #24 of 33
oh the "dock" they do is nothing more than a stand. 

when you say you have an ipod "classic" do you mean a classic ie 6G ipod or do you actually mean a 5.5G ipod?

if its the 5.5 then they hav wolfson DAC's in them in which case yes get a dock, however get a cheapish one that uses the analouge out. http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock something like that would do fine and so would probably a million other things.  dont get an expensive digital line out one all it would serve to do is bypass the good wolfson DAC.

if its a 6 then id really not worry about it, its line out isnt meant to be really any better than its hp out

May 5, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
oh the "dock" they do is nothing more than a stand. 

when you say you have an ipod "classic" do you mean a classic ie 6G ipod or do you actually mean a 5.5G ipod?

if its the 5.5 then they hav wolfson DAC's in them in which case yes get a dock, however get a cheapish one that uses the analouge out. http://www.richersounds.com/product/ipods-docks-accessories/cambridge-audio/id10/camb-id10-ipod-dock something like that would do fine and so would probably a million other things.  dont get an expensive digital line out one all it would serve to do is bypass the good wolfson DAC.

if its a 6 then id really not worry about it, its line out isnt meant to be really any better than its hp out

hmm...it's the iPod Classic 80G (6th Gen...I think...just bought it a month ago from Apple Store).  There's some rumor that there are some fake Audica in the market. I bought 2nd hand from  a friend...I mean it sounds good....how do I know it's a fake one?

Do you think it's worth to get a small woofer and place it under the desk or just leave it? What would be a reasonable woofer for Audica?

May 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 33

Quote:
there wernt any fakes, they discontinued it and dumped their stock of them and lots found there way to non Audica authorised dealers.

as for adding a sub, erm how were you proposing to do that?  it has no sub out.

...u r totally right.....

May 8, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 33
Checkout Elac AM150

qoute from 6moons review:
"Conclusion: How’s it all add up? A happy encounter with a lot of value for the money. Developing a speaker with such universality of application and such a friendly budget makes it impossible to be all things to all people. One has to define a niche, focus down on specific talents and fix up a particular profile. That’s been successful. Today’s tester has clear character. For the money it’s prematurely mature – neutral and sufficiently loud and bass stable without cheap tricks. I put Elac’s AM150 through its paces over two months and enjoyed my time. Obviously you can get more if you spend more. What distinguished this box from my bigger rig were concept-typical subtractions in the low bass, lesser scale and precision of the soundstage and stepped back microdynamics. Bigger budgets will thus track the finest breathers on Soap & Skin better. Ditto for the dying embers of electronic decays and damped piano strings. Costlier kit won’t strut wobbly switches and instead seduce us with classier cosmetics. But - those of leaner wallets who want a good near-field monitor for Jazz, Pop or Rock mastering or an uncomplicated unusually mature-for-the-money living room speaker that merely requires a source ought to be more than satisfied."

source: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/elac3/1.html

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #29 of 33
I busted my Audica MPS-1 .... =[  and replaced it with ProAudio Addon One. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back