What's your pick for best i-pod Classic active speakers?
Apr 23, 2011 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

RayChristenPaul

New Head-Fier
Hey All

I have  a list of speakers to choose from and being unable to sample/listen to them, I need your opinion. For my humble set-up, my music source would be line out from i-Pod Classic (lossless). It's for my study desk with my i-Mac in between the speakers. I listen to all sorts of music but recently more on easy listening. Area would be a decent size study room. I'm not using DAC or anything, just from the i-Pod Classic.

So listed below are my choices; which one would be the most suitable?
  • KRK Rockit 5
  • Audica MPS1
  • KEF PicoForte
  • Audioengine 5
  • Audioengine 2
  • Bose Companion 3
  • Bowers & Wilkins MM-1
  • Kanto I-Pair5

I am open to other suggestions as well...thank you.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 33
Hmm I've got a similar setup to you - I put my 24" screen between two Epoz Aktimate Mini's. I was very confident when I bought them a few years back that they were the best active desktop monitor speakers I could have bought with an iPod dock, and I'm pretty confident they still are. I compared them to the Focal XS system and the original Zepplin - while the Zepplin system has a nice authoritative sound it obviously can't be put on two sides of a monitor, and soundstage width is mediocre. The Aktimates have a clean, dynamic sound with amazing soundstaging and a surprising amount of finesse in the highs.

My only recommendation is if that you have very limited space from the back wall, the Aktimates are rear ported and need room to breathe. I myself just bunged the rear ports with foam.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 33
Thanks guys...frankly I just want to get the best sound out of my i pod. While I have read lots of comments and reviews from my list, I still can't decide. Zeppelin - I have seen them in audio shop but won't perfectly fit my setup. At this point I am still looking. Tested Audica MPS1 the other day. My friend bought it and she was very impressed with the clarity, lack of bass but for a small room it was adequate. The speakers are pretty heavy for the size - made from aluminium. From my list of choice - what could be better?

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 33

[size=medium] Aktimate Mini White 2-way Active Speaker System with iPod Dock[/size]

AktiMate Mini is an active 2-way system negating the need for a separate amplifier as it has its own 40 Watt per channel amplifier built in to one ..

Are these similar to what you have? Looks pretty cool and I'd say pretty neat sitting next to my I-mac 21". I think I can accomodate the space as I have a big study desk. I'm sourcing for more info on these speakers. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 33
Good point....so I will need  a DAC if I want to go for these. Another worth consideration. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 33
Well, you won't need a DAC necessarily with the Aktimates. They will take input straight from the iMac headphone out, or an iPod. I run them at the moment with a MusicStreamer II+, but even something like a uDAC is awesome with them. Straight out of my 2006 Macbook Pro's headphone out I noticed some quiet buzzing, but didn't notice anything with newer models. So yes, they are perfectly adequate without a DAC, but better with one. (Same with anything really.)

As for bass, that's the least of your concerns with the Aktimates hehe... though if you want some really rich sub-bass you may want to go with a subwoofer eventually like I did. They have a bunch of flexible input outputs, so they offer plenty of opportunity down the line.

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 33
well the Audica can you still get? same for the picoforte which you dont say which number (1 or 3) actually i do see a couple of places with the 1 at a pretty bargain price.

ill toss in another couple of options, the Roth Charlie 2.0 or 2.1 or the Acoustic Energy Aego M.

btw you havent really said what sound signature or behaviour you want so it makes it hard to say which might sout you best but id stay away from bigger things like the A5 if your going to be sitting right in front

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 33
I don't have any recommendations, but I wanted to point out something that may be minor: since each of the Rokits has its own RCA input jack, you’d have to split down a Y cable (or get a split one), and it could be messy/awkward. They also weren’t a good match for my 4G iPod Classic when I tried them (to me the result was harsh and hollow). I’ve heard very good thing about the Kanto iPair, but I’ve never tried them.

Good luck making your choice.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 33
Thanks Mark2410

Yeah they still have Audica MPS1 (probably the last few in stocks). I listened to it again and so far it's quite interesting. Blessed by the quiet night...sounds are very clear and crisp but kinda light on vocal if I'm listening to "easy listening genre". A bit warm will be nice. But yes, for a small size they are quite amazing. Still...I'm keeping my option. 

Mark - it's the Kef Picoforte 1 & 3. Both...yes 1 is the older ones but they still have one in stock. It's pricy but in this world - "you get what you paid"...though I may be wrong..LOL

Anyways - good point on staying away from the big box unless the little ones aren't able to deliver - which I'm pretty sure there's a set of speakers out there, small but with a punch..

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #12 of 33
Hey Diciembre - thanks for your point. I wouldn't know that till I get one but thanks for the heads-up. Appreciate it. I'm reading the Kantos but like you I have not seen them in the market but would love to hear reviews from other members. Wish I can sample them. Like you..I will use my i-Pod Classic as my source and I am open to using DAC for my setup. Will probably avoid that whenever possible. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 33
I would go for the AudioEngine A2's. They're affordable for the price, and for the sound output, it's very good.
If you can find them used, even better, as they're cheaper, making them super affordable!

I have a 27" monitor, and a tiny desk. I went with the A5's because someone was selling them for $220. I jumped on it faster than anything else I ever bought.

They were bigger than expected, and now my monitor is off center due to the size of the speakers. Haha. :frowning2:

Also, I'm getting a Maverick D1 soon as well as more tubes, so I'm expecting the audio quality to increase.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 33
Hey JRG1990 - thanks. Yup would be nice to have all the sleek white or black speaker flanking my i-Mac....hey..my shopping lists is getting longer...LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back