What's your "most metal" classical composition?
Nov 2, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 37

Quote:
Personally, I'd say Brahms'  First Symphony. Pretty intense stuff.

I'm surprised no one said "Mars, the bringer of war" by Holst yet. Definitely as metal as classical can get.

True that, Mars is pretty scary stuff.  Next to look up the Brahms #1.

Slightly OT but I was listening to Bach's Ciaccona (Chaconne) from the Partita for Solo Violin in D minor the other day and it occured that it would make a very interesting piece done prog rock style.  Like Ham Sandwich suggested, it would work as a selection of passages from the piece, probably not possible to tackle as a whole, but then again, wouldn't it be grand?
Part One
Part Two
Btw I admire what Brahms had to say about this piece:
"On one stave, for a small instrument, the man writes a whole world of the deepest thoughts and most powerful feelings. If I imagined that I could have created, even conceived the piece, I am quite certain that the excess of excitement and earth-shattering experience would have driven me out of my mind."

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 37
the first thing that comes to mind is Mars by Holst from Planets

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 37
I always thought that if this thread ever came up the most cited piece would be Dies Ire from Verdi's Requiem:

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #23 of 37
Ride Of The Valkyries                              by Richard Wagner  

ftw

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 37
Nice catch JMcP
Some very metal recommendations there.  Me like.  More please 
beerchug.gif

The Varese piece above reminded me of this:
George Crumb - Black Angels 1: Night of the Electric Insects

On a potentially controversial side note, I am of the opinion that most heavy metal (&prog) bands should give up trying writing original music and use their outstanding musicianship to interpret pieces that are already proven to be great, classical or otherwise.  Most metal ime is rather yawn, this coming from a metal-head of the last 23 years and counting...

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #26 of 37
Surprised nobody's mentioned the opening of Orff's Carmina Burana, O Fortuna:

r

It's the emotional overwroughtness in the lyrics, shoutiness in the singing and simple pattern of extreme loud-soft-loud dynamics that makes me think of heavy metal when I hear this, even though the score itself isn't rich with high-speed riffage. The clip above shows the lyrics so I figured it would be a better example despite cutting off the second half of the movement.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #27 of 37
Pretty cool thread! This is one of my favorites of all time.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #29 of 37
Subscribed.

Nov 29, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #30 of 37
Ok i take it back i no longer find classical boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back