Whats your most exciting headphone purchase?
Jun 12, 2003 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Hehe, this just popped out of my mind while reading one of threads. So, which headphone purchase was the most exciting for you?

this topic can also be altered to -- which headphones are you still most excited about?

First, let me start....About two years ago, I was brought into this headphone world when i read a particular review found on epinions.com. I read a review that was praising a particular headphone by the name of Koss sportapro. So i bought the last remaining sporta over at circuit city.

Then a year after that, i got my first grado, the sr-80. Love the clarity. Very happy about the purchase, worth every dollar.

But then, i became even more happier when i plunked down twenty bucks to get the Senn mx500. I cant believe it, the sound spectrum found in this pair of buds can almost rival that of my grados (when used outdoors). Im even thinking about getting a second pair incase i lose it, or it being damaged.

The time spent using the ksc50 was also good, but not as convenient and invincible as the mx500.
biggrin.gif

The worst headphone dud----> senn hd433.

How about you guys?

Jun 12, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 35
Hmmm.. I think it was the purchase of the Beyer DT231 which was my first real good portable phone. It really has a soundstage to cry for, and it got me hooked in the headphone world. I lost them at a trip to Vienna (or rtaher: someone lost them for me
mad.gif
), got the amount of money that it costed... and then bought me a HD-25-1 instead.. Am VERY pleased with that purchase as well, though I am tempted to see what the higher BeyerDynamics sounds like... but I'm bankrupt, now when I have bought the closed top-of-the-line Sennheiser
frown.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 35
They have all been fun, but I'm still waiting for the one's that make me say "thats what I'm talking about!"

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 35
In terms of the most exciting to purchase...obviously it was the Sony MDR-R10s, and the Stax Omega IIs.

The Omega IIs have continued to excite nearly a year later. I don't think I will ever really grow tired of the way they sound, as long as I fuel them with new music.

The 'phones that really take the cake however are the Sony MDR-E888 earphones. They're the 'phones that got me into the headphone biz, they're the only 'phones I've bought a replacement for after the first pair died, and they've stayed with me by far and large the longest...nearly 8 years now. And everytime I listen to them, I'm amazed at how good a pair of earphones can be made to sound.

Jun 12, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 35
I was pretty excited when I got the HD280's, my first real headphone, but I think I was most excited when the W100's arrived in the mail. I had been lusting after them for so long and they've managed to live up to my expectations so they are the purchase I'm still most satisfied with as well. Gotta love the woodies.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 35
Most exciting for me was my Senn HD580s for $120. It just felt like a steal! I was thrilled with the sound of someone else's HD580s at a head-fi meet, and ordered mine the next day. And it was my passport to jabbering about world-class headphones!

I'm still thrilled with them.
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 35
My most thrilling headphone purchase (so far) was the PX200s. This was the first pair of headphones I purchased that I had actually researched, as opposed to just buying something that happened to be stocked by a local dealer. Since then I've bought several more headphones but you never forget your first time.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 35
I'm with you in that I still marvel the most at my Senn MX500's. The $16 I spent for these has provided amazing return. I love the impact, the soundstage, the immediacy of sound, and I even think the bass is great.

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 35
Even though I am almost 50..I am still like a kid waiting for the mailman when new gear is enroute. So, they all are pretty exciting.

But the biggest "wow" was when I got my first pair...the Koss Porta Pros. This was also my intoduction to this site...so the discovery of Head-Fi and all you other crazed and super guys made the Portas all the more exciting.

John

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 35
for me, when i first got the grado sr60s. i made up my mind early in the year that i wanted headphones, a friend at school offered me his onkyo headphones for around 200. i was just smart enough not to purchase it, i was intending to do it. then i found headwize
biggrin.gif
at the end of the year, 2000, i went to singapore and purchased the grados while i was there. the first couple days i got them, i wore them while walking around and talking to my friends
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 35
My first real pair of headphones were the HD600 with the Cardas cable. I had been visiting headphone related websites for awhile and I dreamed about getting a top of the line headphone system. I had that burning desire for a dedicated cans only system for about two years before I finally came into some money. Of course, I am dead broke and I am in need of a job soon thanks to you all.
mad.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 35
Well, it's a tie between the K-1000s and the HP-2s. And I appreciate both the more I listen to them.

Jun 12, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 35
For me, probably the DT770 were my most exciting purchase. None before that really floated my boat, though the Grado SR80 possibly came closest, until I felt the pain in my head after 30 minutes, which was always a repeatable experience...

The DT931s should have been it, but I wanted them to sound as musical as my speakers, and well, they failed. The DT770s, well, I enjoy these just as much, so for me, this is my most exciting headphone purchase. Although for me, the speakers just edge it on overall quality, but its close... then again, the volume levels I am able to play the headphones counteract this somewhat...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back