what's your "genre-break"?
Mar 29, 2007 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

KinesongPayaso

100+ Head-Fier
After listening to all kinds of Rock/Metal for over 2 months, I think I reached my peak. Even great music don't sound so great anymore

I need a break, and listen to some other kind of music. maybe less deep droning sound(bass), and more lighter tunes.. i dunno.. whistles, cybmals.. lol

I can't think of any kind of "light" music

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 25
If you like metal, perhaps some 70's progressive will do the trick? I'm thinking the first three offerings from Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson...

Can't really answer you directly though. Rock makes up the majority of my collection, but I listen to everything else, too and on a regular basis. Never get tired of it, in other words.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 25
Blues man, BLUES I tell you!

icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 25
I tend to not listen to a single genre or style for an extended period of time, so I never really feel like I need a "break", so to speak.

I don't even bother making playlists... my playlist consists of all ~700 of my albums. It's all a big mess that jumps from extreme metal to glitchy electronica, from quirky experimental rock to painful contemporary aural abstractions, from jazz fusion to psych, and back to some kind of metal.

I don't really get bored.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 25
i'm with asmox, i listen to everything, so i never get bored, personally i hate people who stick to one genre, it's so limiting to me, it pays to be open minded when it comes to music, that's always been my philosophy when approaching music as a whole, there is so much good stuff out there, so many hidden gems and it's always evolving, it just takes the person to look in the right direction, i guess

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i hate people who stick to one genre, it's so limiting to me, it pays to be open minded when it comes to music...

It would do you good to be open minded about people who focus on a genre, too!
wink.gif

Either way, to those of us who listen to the whole gamut, let's keep giving this guy some suggestions! I like the idea of the contrast with electronic stuff. If you aren't used to it, I would suggest some ambient/analoguy stuff. Some recommendations:

Stereolab: "Dots and Loops" and "Emperor Tomato Ketchup"
Beef Terminal: "The Isolationist"
Squarepusher: "Feed Me Weird Things" (bizarro warning)
Photek: "Modus Operandi"
u-Ziq: "In Pine Effect"

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 25
I also jump genres. If I'm into a metal mood, I find myself inevitably shifting to electronica or hip-hop, and vice-versa. If I'm listening to more new age music, I'll find myself balancing out with other types of music....

I do love musical variety

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would do you good to be open minded about people who focus on a genre, too!
wink.gif

i knew i would get a response like that, i almost changed my response, but i didn't, i don't like using disclaimers when posting nor feel like i have to explain everything, yet that is what i tend to do anyways after the fact, funny how that works, but yeah i didn't really mean it like that in the first place, more like a personal preference if you will
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 25
oh, I heard of mahavishnu orchestra
i may (borrow) that album for a while

the others are quite unknown to me, so I can't afford to buy a whole album just for a break... and I can't find a friend who owns one to borrow off
biggrin.gif

oh, and I just started out REALLY listening to music for these 2 months ... so i practically looked for rock/metal albums exclusively (really, what would you first listen to, but rock?)

KinesongPayaso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back