Kid-A

Head-Fier
Obscured by clouds
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 37
It is extremely hard to choose because each album is excellent in its own right. However, "Wish You Were Here" has always been my favorite Pink Floyd album when all things are considered. Pink Floyd seems to have done it's Water's-era major studio releases in pairs. "Meddle" goes with "Dark Side of the Moon." "Wish You Were Here" goes with "Animals." "The Wall" goes with "The Final Cut." I liked the "Wish You Were Here/Animals" sequence. [both studio recording-wise as well as live...]
cool.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 37
WYWH is my old standby Pink Floyd favorite album. Much later than that and I start to get tired of Roger Waters complaining about his life in bitter detail. As good as the music is in The Wall , it just seems like a childish exercise.
I became a PF fan in the Ummagumma era. Nice and weird, innovative and all over the map. Meddle was another standout album.
I saw Dark Side of the Moon performed at Maple Leaf Gardens in March, 1973. I was lucky enough to have a friend buy us tickets to Division Bell in Vancouver, mid-90s. Great show, but DSOTM was better live and musically.
icon10.gif
YMMV

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 37
That's a tough one, but overall I'd probably have to go with Pulse, followed by The Division Bell and DSOTM. I also have the limited edition trance remix albums of Obscured By Clouds and Wish You Were here, and they're both excellent.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
That's a tough one, but overall I'd probably have to go with Pulse, followed by The Division Bell and DSOTM. I also have the limited edition trance remix albums of Obscured By Clouds and Wish You Were here, and they're both excellent.

I don't want to derail the thread but can you supply some information on the "trance remix albums." I didn't know they existed. They sound interesting...

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 37
no poll?

having said that:
1) The Wall is #1
2) Dark Side of the moon

Then there is the rest. The live album (don't recall name) is pretty good. I'll give that #3.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 37
Now, I can cheat and give one answer: Shine On box-set

Or, if we're talking about just ONE album, i'm going to go with The (remastered, with extra track) Final Cut

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 37
That's not cheating, that's just a wrong answer
tongue.gif

I have too many favorites.

For creativity, it has to go to Animals
For listening, it has to go to A Saucerful of Secrets
For reference, it has to go to Meddle

DSotM is a great story, but I've heard Money too many times now. The Wall is okay but it's just a Waters solo album, and the movie made it more of a dissapointment than an addition to the story. The album itself is terrific, but I can't give it to the ENTIRE BAND, I can only give it to Roger Waters.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I don't want to derail the thread but can you supply some information on the "trance remix albums." I didn't know they existed. They sound interesting...

The trance remixes were only available as bootleg imports.

As long as we're including bootlegs, my favorite Pink Floyd is live between 1970-1971. The closest legitamite material is the video release of Live at Pompeii.

My favorite bootleg when sound qualtiy is considered is one of the most common live shows, the BBC live session recorded at the Paris Theatre in London on 9/30/71.

See: http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-cd/f...london.cd.html

My favorite studio album is probably Animals due its concept but I like it all except for the post Waters Pink Floyd. I like the Waters stuff a lot, including The Final Cut (might as well be a Waters solo album) and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

Jan 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 37
My favourite album is "Wish You Were Here". Beautiful songs.

Jan 18, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb

I don't really have much more information than that. They exist, and they're apparently categorized as bootlegs, according to this page. I *think* it was my older brother who made CD-R copies for my dad, which I in turn borrowed and ripped to MP3. I am unsure if the CD-Rs were copies of original discs or not. Beyond that, I have no info. I have no idea who did the remixing nor where to get hold of original copies.

And I see that Canman has beat me to this. Ah well.

Jan 18, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 37
If a huge fan of WYWH/DSOTM with the first prob being my most listenned to/liked. Unfortunatly I cant really enjoy the Ummagumma period at all (perhaps to do with my ignorence when it comes to that period of their music e.g. Drugs). But I honestly found the album to be nothing more than a whole lot of jungle sounding jibberish
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back