What's your favourite music related DVD?
Nov 3, 2002 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been collecting concerts and documentaries on DVD lately, and I wonder what everyone's recommendations are. I really enjoyed the Beach Boys "Endless Harmony" documentary, hated the Paul Simon Rhino Records "Graceland" documentary (as well his concert in Paris - horrible). Musically the new Nine Inch Nails All That Could Have Been was great, but I thought Trent Reznor putting it together himself really showed.

Which DVDs have you thought were really good or bad?

Nov 3, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 24
Nine Inch Nails - And All That Could Have Been

I liked his use of hidden content, and thought that the footage was great because I am sick of the usual concert video style.

Tool's Salival is nifty too.

Nov 4, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 24
What Black Aspic said. (And not just because he said it, too, as soon as I saw this thread topic, that's the first one that came to mind.)

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 24
I remember seeing two music DVDs:

-Jeff Buckley (live in Chicago I think)
-Ben Folds Five (PBS recorded special performance)

I recommend both of those to fans or aspiring fans. I enjoyed them at least.

Nov 4, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
I remember seeing two music DVDs:

-Jeff Buckley (live in Chicago I think)

I recommend both of those to fans or aspiring fans. I enjoyed them at least.

Agreed, it looked fantastic and the band was in top form!

I also enjoyed the Portishead PNYC dvd and Oasis ...there and then, although i wish they had the interviews in a separate menu.

Nov 5, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 24
Do musicals count?

I recommend Hedwig & the Angry Inch. It will either entertain or offend you and if it offends you, you could probably stand to be offended more often.

I've been largely disappointed with the music stuff on DVD. I keep expecting to see stuff that was formally on LD or VHS that has still not made the leap to DVD. Guess I'm just not so excited about newer music.

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 24
"Baraka" & "Chronos". "Koyaaniquatsi" didn't do it for me. Went into an epileptic fit.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 24
Any of the "Jazz Casual" series.My favorite is the episode with John Coltrane.I also love "The World According to John Coltrane" which has very good sound quality.

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #14 of 24
Archosman, I will agree that for some reason, Koyannisqatsi doesn't do it for me on DVD.

However, Powaqqatsi is perfect for me. Love the music, and I love the visuals. Eagerly awaiting Naqoyqatsi on DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back