What's Your Favorite Restaurant In Your Area?
Feb 4, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #31 of 58
From my hometown:

Cincinnati Ohio - Skyline Chili, Montgomery Inn (mmm ribs......), and Graeter's Ice Cream

This is the holy trinity that I must have whenever I visit.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #33 of 58
Rock Bottom

No contest

And my current town would be Batavia, Illinois

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #34 of 58
IMHO, The best chili in Cincinnati is Fort Washington (try a Coney or a 4-way).

Since everyone knows Chili Dogs are the best food in the world and Los Angeles is the capital of Chili Dogs, I offer in no particular order:

a. Pinks (LaBrea and Melrose)
b. Cupids (Various locations in the SF Valley)
c. Johnny's Pastrami (Culver City, Supulveda at Washington Place). Charbroiled dog and thick chili.
d. Weiner Factory (Ventura Bl., Sherman Oaks)
e. Tommy's (Beverly at Rampart and other locations)

I tried Art's years ago but didn't care for it. There is no place to get a decent chili dog in the Bay Area.

Steak in SF?? Try the C&L on Nob Hill. I liked it.

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #35 of 58
Hometown of San Jose: Kubota's in J-town

So-Cal : Anyone heard of Killer Shrimp (love that sauce)

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
Tokyo Jyangara - My most favorite ramen joint in Tokyo. I'll usually roam around Akihabara and when I get hungry, I pop in for a bowl of Zenbuiri. So tasty...

Yay! Go Jangara! Have you noticed that the Jangara Ramen are slightly different per location? For example, the Akihabara one, I think, is better for regular Jangara or miso Jangara. It's just got more flavor. But if you want bonshan, or any of its varients, you're beter off going to the Harajuku one.

Also I've never been all that satisfied with the Akasaka branch...

Hmm, I gotta check out your Bay Area recommendations next time I visit my parents.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 58
Menlo Park .... Marche

Although, Korean barbecue is always my real favorite.

Feb 4, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yay! Go Jangara! Have you noticed that the Jangara Ramen are slightly different per location? For example, the Akihabara one, I think, is better for regular Jangara or miso Jangara. It's just got more flavor. But if you want bonshan, or any of its varients, you're beter off going to the Harajuku one.

Also I've never been all that satisfied with the Akasaka branch...

Hmm, I gotta check out your Bay Area recommendations next time I visit my parents.

Best,

-Jason

Go Jyangara!!! Yes, I've really noticed that their flavor changes from location to location also. I think the Akiba store is the best for tonkotsu flavor but I've yet to try their miso jyangara. Miso flavor just doesn't have the richness and flavor of tonkotsu so i've never tried it.

The Harajuku store isn't bad either. They offer other flavors that I've never seen on the menu at Akihabara. I'll have to try the bonshan the next time I'm there. The Akasaka store is alright but not as good as the others. Maybe it's the fact that you're getting a bowl of ramen after fighting the crowds at Akihabara that makes it better.
tongue.gif

Jason, let me know what you think of those places. I've been going to them since forever so if you or anyone else has other recommendations in the bay area, I'd love to try!

One more recommendation:
Pasadena, CA Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles - Sounds like a nasty combination but it just works so well together. You do feel nasty after coming out of there but their friend chicken is so good and as are their waffles.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #39 of 58
Gordon Biersch Brewry (San Jose)... Mainly for the beer but their bar/grille is excellent too.
Sam Kee (San Jose-Cupertino)... Great chinese cuisine for not a lot of $$$
Pho 54 (San Jose)... My fave Pho place
Zeldas (Capitola)... My fave place, in my fave beach town. Live Jazz too on weekends.
Crab-shacks all over san francisco's wharf. Nothing like fresh caught live crab, in SF... on the pier.
Sato Sushi (San Jose)... for sashimi. Love their spider (soft shell crab) rolls there
Yoshi's (Oakland, Jack London square)... Great up-scale Japanese. INCREDIBLE Live Jazz venue. The room acoustics there are phenominal. Engeineers there really know what theyre doing at that venue. Top notch house PA IMHO. I saw Jonathan butler and Keiko Matsui there.
Aldo's (Santa Cruz)... On the pier in Santa Cruz. Good eats for not a lot of $$$. Of all the Northern CA beach towns Santa Cruz generally has the warmest climate. Here's a pic of me and some friends... at Aldo's/

Happy Hound (Los Gatos)... My fave burger dive.
Kubota's (San Jose)... Agree with Utep10
Beach Boardwalk (Santa Cruz)... FAT corn dogs, beer battered onion rings and fried zucchini, salt water taffy and cotton candy.

edited to bold the names/add pics

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #43 of 58
Janko's Little Zagreb in Bloomington, IN. The place has no ambience, but the best steaks in Indiana. It is the stereotypical hole-in-the-wall with food that is out of this world. I have been going there for years, and nothing ever seems to change all that much.

Feb 4, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I don't know if that's a good idea, considering the water quality in NJ! Anyway J-Sho sounds good; also check out Wasabi House in East Brunswick on 18. Stay away from Shogun on 18 - that place will kill you
eek.gif

I'm about 5 minutes from Wasabi House on 18
tongue.gif
East Hana in the asian food store on 18 absolutely kills Wasabi house when it comes to overall quality, IMO, though Wasabi House does have pretty good desserts, while EH has none. EH is also cheaper, but has a less diverse menu. I do like WH's various specialty rolls, but the fish isn't as fresh as I'd want it to be. Do check out Jo-Sho, it's off Easton Avenue just before it goes into Route 287, and it's a top-notch sushi place IMO. It's not quite as good as Nobu in NYC
tongue.gif
but it's probably the best in NJ that I've seen thus far. About 30% more expensive than WH, so we're talking regular NYC prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back