What's your favorite hole and position?
Jul 18, 2002 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
Well MG HEAD OTL owners. What's your favorite hole (jack) and position (switch position).

1) We have the OTL output on the far right. The feedback or hi/lo switch really has no effect on this.
2) The left hand hole, or jack. With switch up (no feedback).
3) The left hand hole, or jack, with the switch down, with feedback.

First, #1. The output transformers are used as inductors, not transformers, and the sound is picked up before them by a capacitor that goes to the output jack. Gives deeper bass, but muddies up the rest. Also, when you turn on the unit with the headphones plugged in, or first plug in the headphones, the capacitor does take a charge through the fine headphone coils with a loud pop. Not good. I have a gadget I made to prevent that.

#2. Transformer out. Headphone jack is connected to secondary winding of transformer. No negative feedback loop.
Most people seem to like this. You will get more of the "tubey" sound than #1.

#3. Transformer out, but with negative feedback picked off the transformer and fed to the first stage. Lotsa people say this corrects many amp design deficiencies. So what? What amp ain't perfect? What happens is, the output is fed, out of phase (does some cancelling out) reducing some of the gain of the amp.
It reduces the sound, but also reduces all the nasties the amp stages create, like some noise and distortion. So some of the volume goes down, but it is a "purer" sound. Most prefer the extra distortions allowed by #2.

Me? I started with #1. Now I stick with #3, as the MG Head was originally designed. Love my feedback. Love my transformers. I guess a lot of the fat from my head got into my ears or brain sound centers.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 7
The names of these threads are getting more creative...

I felt the same way you did until I got into tube rolling. OTL/no feedback has the greatest potential if you're willing to experiment with different tubes. Seems like OTL designs in general deliver superior midrange performance.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 7
With my limited tube rolling I had trouble bringing the OTL bass under tight control. I didn't mind the reduced gain with the neg feedback, but I also heard some loss of detail in the mids an lows.

So my favorite is #2

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Either OTL or regular w/o NF. Although I must say, I don't listen to my Head nearly as much as I used to... I guess flipping the switch on a META is more convinient than waiting for the Head to warm up...

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 7
I briefly spent some time with the MG Head. It had stock tubes, etc. I prefered #3.

Headphone jack + feedback.

Didn't like OTL mode that much. Again, that may have been the tubes.

Jul 19, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Oh my gawd! I feel like an aging virgin. I've never really tried anything but OTL/No feedback. I just went through an entire tube roll with the THSP kit without changing my hole or settings...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back