What's your favorite headband setup?
Jan 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 21
I prefer the Stax way of headbands, it's the most comfortable headphone I've yet encountered: one 'clamping' arc, with (p)leather band for headsupport:
stxsr404l.jpg

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 21
Absolutely adore the headband of the SR-007BL.
Leather headband mounted with an elastic band, allowing it to adjust freely while distributing the weight over your entire scull.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 21
Plain headband with leather over it (real leather, pleather is irritating even though pretty much any company, my favorite two Beyerdynamic and Denon included, use pleather).

Beyerdynamic makes a button up one you could buy, or you could do one like Denon that you can't remove, although when it starts getting damaged or if you put the padding in poorly you're screwed in that case.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 21
The Stax/AudioTechnica designs are sort of the same. Very light clamp to get the earpads against the head, but weight distributed by the wings/leather part. Feel pretty much weightless, like they are not even there. Really not suited for portable use though.

I didn't really get along with the AT's, but probably better with the right bending (can't do that with expensive headphones that are not mine
tongue.gif
)

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 21
AKG ALMOST got it right with the design they used on the K70x. Very similar to the Stax and AT design. Except for one major flaw, those stupid pressure point bumps they put on the band. The ones on my K702 are starting to soften up and feel better but the first few weeks it was painful.

I could forgive AKG for doing it on the K701, but when they released the K702 didn't any of the engineers wear the K701? I guess not cause had they worn them they would most certainly have said "Remove those painful F@#$ bumps". The guy who is responsible for those bumps should have a K701 strapped to his head for 2 weeks!

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Stax way of headbands, it's the most comfortable headphone I've yet encountered: one 'clamping' arc, with (p)leather band for headsupport

I never had STAX but both most comfortable headphones I had were implemented the same manner. SONY MDR-F1 and Koss UR-40:
MDR-F1.jpg
koss-stereo-kopfhoerer-ur-40.jpg

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Any that use the band like JVC RX's or some of the AT stuff. Also like the stuff the above poster mentioned. Or just use a D1001 frame all together
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 21
AT Air headbands. Only headphone where I sometimes forget they are on my head. Also, I know lot of people knock on Grado headphones, but for my RS1 they're excellent, hardly feel that it is there (it could be due to RS1's low weight).

While on subject of design, the WORST design: Definitely K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could forgive AKG for doing it on the K701, but when they released the K702 didn't any of the engineers wear the K701? I guess not cause had they worn them they would most certainly have said "Remove those painful F@#$ bumps". The guy who is responsible for those bumps should have a K701 strapped to his head for 2 weeks!

Everyone working for AKG has a square shaped head, apparently.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back