What's your favorite computer keyboard?
Sep 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 26
I'm currently using a Saitek Eclipse II. For a person who prefers to use the computer in a dim lighted room or likes a little bit of a colour splash, blacklights are wonderful! Key response is good compared to most membrane based keyboards I've used, build quality seems quite decent, the blacklight can change between red, blue and purple and it's rather pleasing aesthetically (lights on or off). I never liked the over-the-top G series keyboards from Logitech as the hotkeys are overkill in regards to space taken-- the Saitek Eclipse 1 & 2 have very basic media keys with standard keyboard measurement, blacklights and are very inexpensive in comparison. 

As nice as mechanical keyboards feel, they're too loud and modern ones with basic media functions are expensive.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 26
I also have the Logitech Illuminated keyboard.  I work on the computer many hours a day and just love the feel of that keyboard.  It's one of the best I've ever used, second only to the MacBook Pro's keyboard.  I heard the IBM Model M is good, but I didn't get one because it's expensive and doesn't have a backlight.  I never realize how useful a backlit keyboard can be (even for desktop use) until I got the MacBook Pro and the Logitech Illuminated. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Microsoft Ergonomic 4000

This, so this, I even bought a second one when they were on sale in case Microsoft discontinues it like they did my beloved trackball mouse. It isn't the best for gaming but in terms of comfort for programming, almost unbeatable, buy one, you won't regret it.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 26
Ditto, I got one for home and liked it so much I bought one for work too.  When I get paged in the middle of the night that backlit keyboard is a godsend compared to being blinded by an overhead light after a deep sleep.  The keys are a joy to type on; I thought I'd always want the full range keystrokes but I don't miss it or the 'clickiness' of other keyboards.

Quote:
Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, I use one at home and one at work.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Sep 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
I just recalled that Razer is releasing a mechanical blacklit keyboard.

I looked it up and it's rather expensive, but I'm intrigued enough to possibly pick one up from work when we get them and at least give it a go.

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Edition

A note to anyone planning on buying this- Razer, in their infinite wisdom, chose to populate that keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. That type is designed to have loud feedback and is generally regarded to be better for typing than gaming. Based on my research the MX Brown type would have probably been a better choice.

For the OP's purposes the non-backlit $80 version is a choice worth considering.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #24 of 26

I don't mind. I like me some clicking.
Quote:

A note to anyone planning on buying this- Razer, in their infinite wisdom, chose to populate that keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. That type is designed to have loud feedback and is generally regarded to be better for typing than gaming. Based on my research the MX Brown type would have probably been a better choice.

For the OP's purposes the non-backlit $80 version is a choice worth considering.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 26
I have one of them as well, but I really don't like the key feel at all, I much prefer even the Microsoft key feel.

Quote:
I'm currently using a Saitek Eclipse II. For a person who prefers to use the computer in a dim lighted room or likes a little bit of a colour splash, blacklights are wonderful! Key response is good compared to most membrane based keyboards I've used, build quality seems quite decent, the blacklight can change between red, blue and purple and it's rather pleasing aesthetically (lights on or off). I never liked the over-the-top G series keyboards from Logitech as the hotkeys are overkill in regards to space taken-- the Saitek Eclipse 1 & 2 have very basic media keys with standard keyboard measurement, blacklights and are very inexpensive in comparison. 

As nice as mechanical keyboards feel, they're too loud and modern ones with basic media functions are expensive.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 26
wow, lots of discussions
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your suggestions! I just ordered an IBM Preferred USB keyboard. I decided because of its good predecessors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back