What's your favorite BEER ?
Jul 12, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
That's interesting. I suffer from depression, too (enough to be medicated), and alcohol has no depressive effects on me at all. It's meant to be a big no-no, but to be honest, in moderate amounts I think it's beneficial for its stress relieving qualities.

I'm on Paxil myself and I find the same thing. i have no issues with alcohol in any amount really with the exception of really excessive amounts of vodka induces vomiting. The only depressive effect I feel is the depression associated with regret from that bottle of vodka the night prior. :wink:

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #77 of 91
I just wanna describe one episode of mine. I was working in sales and was sick. "If you aren't talking to a customer you aren't working" was the anthem. After two weeks of over the counter remedies aka co-tylenol..and with drinking binges included...
My ex and I woke up like nothing, went to mcdonalds and ate some eggamuffins...we stood in line for tickets to Motley Crue...I stood there for perhaps a couple of hours when I began to get cold sweats. Then I passed out; kinda sorta. I can still remember the the guys in line remarking on what kind of drugs I must have taken.
Please don't mix. I felt like I was dying, and that was with over the counter flu remedy ****.
take care,
md

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #78 of 91
Seriously...when it comes to beer, I am spoiled, since I went to Germany last summer. I pretty much like any reigonal types of
Hefeweizen. One of the best out there was this type with a picture of a girl and a cow on it...I can't remember what it was called. Lol...where are the germans when I need them...

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #79 of 91
blah! any problems that beer cause can be fixed with cigarettes
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #80 of 91
redshifter: Sorry, I've only just recognized your question. Yes, you use 1/2 lager and 1/2 lemonade to produce a "Radler" ("bicycler" - invented in a beergarden nearby, the "Kugleralm" in Oberhaching/Deisenhofen) or 1/2 weizen and 1/2 lemonade to produce a Russ ("russian"). And 1/2 weizen and 1/2 cola would give you a "Neger" ("negro" - no political statement involved, just literal translation...). But of course you can modify the actual percentages to suit your taste. I usually prefer ~ 60% non-alocohilic beverage plus ~ 40 % beer...

Tim: A girl and a cow? Oh... um... I don't know... Have you tried a Erdinger, Schneider or Weihenstephaner, too?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #81 of 91
You know, I was thinking about the whole "Budweiser isn't really beer because it's made from rice" thing and it made me think...

I really respect that the Germans have those kind of laws. America seems to pick and choose when to have standards. Ie, at one point we told several companies that sold "cheese" that they couldn't call it cheese unless it actually contained milk product (I think).

It seems like we should have more consistency in that. I get a little frustrated that ingredients can be swapped for "grade A equivalents" and no one has to know. I feel like America has really been trained to accept really mediocre food products over a long period of time.

Take chocolate for example... during the Great Depression, no one had money for chocolate. So Hershey decided to mix in a little parifin to come up with something that still tastes like chocolate and didn't melt quite so easily--the chocolate bar. Now I'm sure you know this but parafin isn't chocolate, it's wax. After the depression had ended, the prices of products began their increase. ...But the quality didn't go back up. Today we have Hershey bars that contain parafin-like chemicals that keep ingredient costs down and still pay close to a dallar for the "chocolate" bar. Meanwhile, in Europe, they always had real chocolate and still do (you know, cocoa, milk, sugar, etc.).

I think beer is the same kind of thing. We've bread mediocrity to the point that it's what the American consumer is used to and ultimately what they want. It makes me wonder sometimes if our "high standard of living" is meaningful.

Jul 12, 2002 at 1:53 PM Post #82 of 91
bud is made from rice? no wonder it tastes so different from premium beers. i don't think it's terrible though.

becks used to make a big deal out of the reinheitscibord (as least that's how they pronounced it) on their tv ads.

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by lucien
bud is made from rice? no wonder it tastes so different from premium beers. i don't think it's terrible though.

becks used to make a big deal out of the reinheitscibord (as least that's how they pronounced it) on their tv ads.

A lot of american and (most all) asian beers are made from rice. It's not necessarly a *bad* thing per-se. Bud has malted barley they just use the rice to keep the alcohol content up and thier costs down. I'm not sure if there are asian beers that are 100% rice-based.

Jul 12, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #85 of 91
I discovered Stella Artois this year and it's my favorite now. Otherwise it's Pillsner Urquel. I don't mind Heineken, and Molson Canadian isn't bad either, though I reserve it for special (Canadian) occasions, such as our Hockey gold medal. I don't drink much though, couple of bottles per month, only occasionally one bottle a day for a week or so.

Jul 13, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #86 of 91
hmmm . . .

i had a michigan brewing company's high seas india pale ale tonight. not bad. 7% and a bit hoppier than expected. a nice bitterness that's just right. i recommend this if you can find it. great in the summer.

not quite as intense as my other favorite bottled IPA, hop ottin' IPA by anderson valley brewery, but close. cool thing is michigan brewing company is 20 min. from lansing.
ill have to check them out over term break.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #87 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
hmmm . . .

i had a michigan brewing company's high seas india pale ale tonight. not bad. 7% and a bit hoppier than expected. a nice bitterness that's just right. i recommend this if you can find it. great in the summer.

not quite as intense as my other favorite bottled IPA, hop ottin' IPA by anderson valley brewery, but close. cool thing is michigan brewing company is 20 min. from lansing.
ill have to check them out over term break.
smily_headphones1.gif

How can an IPA be hoppier than expected? IPA by definition are *very* hoppy. I'm not much of a hop-head so I generally avoid IPAs.

Jul 13, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #88 of 91
thanks lini, i knew you would get back to me. i'll experiment with some hefewiezen tomorrow.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #90 of 91
black butte porter and full sail pale ale are my staples.

edit: people really seem to like fat tire round here but i cant drink that stuff.. ugh. anyone else find it kinda skunky and nasty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back