What's your favorite Beer?
Jul 28, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #93 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by remilard
Rochefort 10? (quad). I go back and forth between that and Westvleteren 12 for best quad, the latter is more expensive and harder to find though.

Shakespeare Stout (Rogue) is what I drink most often and is my favorite when price is considered. I can also get it on tap easily here.

Dogfish 90 minute IPA is a favorite.

Chimay Grand Reserve when I want a trappiste but don't want to spend Rochefort/Westvleteren money.

I can't find Westvleteren anywhere. I read recently that it was actually the only Belgian abbey that forbid sales outside of the monastery itself. Now I know people find their way around this but this is one elitely rare brew. I'd gladly send you some money for you to ship some my way.

Some of my favs:

Schneider and Sohn Aventinus and Aventinus Eisbock
Trappistes Rochefort 10 (just lovely stuff)
Chimay White (on draft...can't stand it out of the bottle)
Chimay Red (bottle)
Affligem Blonde
Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock
Dogfish Head 90 min. IPA, Aprihop, and World Wide Stout
North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Fuller's London Porter
Pacifico (for those hot summer days)

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #94 of 148
I dont see how most of you can afford nice headphones AND good expensive beer. Hell, I'm happy enough with my Steel Reserve, plus the color of the can matches my rig! Now THAT is synergy!

sr0wd.jpg

Jul 28, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #95 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
I can't find Westvleteren anywhere. I read recently that it was actually the only Belgian abbey that forbid sales outside of the monastery itself. Now I know people find their way around this but this is one elitely rare brew. I'd gladly send you some money for you to ship some my way.

Some of my favs:

Schneider and Sohn Aventinus and Aventinus Eisbock

i do love those 2 schneider offerings... the weizenbock is like tasty and smoooth like a rub on the back... and then, WHAM, the eisbock is like a kick to the face
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #98 of 148
König Pilsener - Heute ein König :)

abb_kontakt.jpg

Prost! :)

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #100 of 148
Glad to see there is some significant beer appreciation here. I was in the business as a buyer once upon a time, and have rather expensive tastes as a result of life long study and tasting of great beers from all over the world.
High quality US made microbrews can stand on their own as exceptional products. That said, many of my incredibly long list of favorites are still made in foreign lands.
Just off the top of my head, I'll take a moment to reinforce some important points made earlier.
The Dogfish Head IPA's are simply superb. The Shelter is a classic pale ale thats very well made. The 60 minute is a big notch up in complexity, and the 90 yet another. The 120 is an amazing achievement, but quite pricey for the average drinker (about $8-10.00 for one 12 ounce bottle).
Bells products, along with the exceptional line from the fine Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland are often considered, by experts, the finest breweries east of the Mississippi. I would add Dogfish to that list, and possibly Goose Island from New York, Capital from Wisconsin, and even Ommegang from Cooperstown, though their selections are limited.
And for the record, if you happen to be going through Cleveland, or are even close, and you love great beer and food, the brewery and the classic building it lives in are more than worth the stop. Very good food, wonderful atmosphere, and great beer.
When you wander out west, there are so many superb breweries, mostly in Colorado, California, Washington and Oregon. In no particular order, New Belgium, North Coast Brewing, Sierra Nevada, Anderson Valley, Pyramid, Wynkoop, and any number of others are well worth searching out for their excellent products. Anderson Valley, home of the Boont Boys, has also won the world's finest brewery title at least once, (its awarded yearly) as I recall. I once had the opportunity to have a few quiet minutes with Michael Jackson (the important one, not the washed up singer/child endangerer) to both sample, review, and remark on their wondrous ales.
In general, the very finest products of all of these breweries are their very special Christmas offerings. A couple classic ones have been mentioned. Bells Eccentric Ale (virtually impossible to get) and North Coast Old Stock Ale are superb, as are Anderson Valley's Solstice Ale, Breckenridge's Christmas Ale, Pyramid's Snowcap, Avery's Old Jubilation. The Anchor Christmas beer is also always worth sampling and varies just a bit each year.
Also as noted earlier, the brilliant offerings from Unibroue, in Quebec, that have good availability here are all simply outstanding. La Fin Du Mond, Terrible, and Maudite may be the best of them, but everything in the line is worth trying. This brewery also once held the title of the worlds finest. It also regularly wins competitions over its more famous Belgian brethren.
Ah well, enough for now, and I;ve barely scratched the surface of my favorites. Perhaps I can manage more later.

JC

Jul 29, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #101 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
i do love those 2 schneider offerings... the weizenbock is like tasty and smoooth like a rub on the back... and then, WHAM, the eisbock is like a kick to the face
biggrin.gif

Man I love that Weizen Eisbock. I can't find it anywhere in Texas though.
frown.gif

I had it for the first time in Atlanta last December along with the Rochefort 10.

Have you had Aventinus on draft? Absolutely amazing.

Jul 29, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #102 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
The 120 is an amazing achievement, but quite pricey for the average drinker (about $8-10.00 for one 12 ounce bottle).

JC

Here at our local store it's $7.99 a bottle so I passed it up a few times in favor of the four pack of 90 min.

Then I read on the internet that it was 21% alc/vol which for some reason they leave off the front of the bottle unlike the 6% listed for the 60 min. and the 9% for the 90.

Talk about bitch slapped. Two of those are like an anesthetic.

I haven't had the Avery Jubiliation yet but I've tried the Reverend, the Beast Grand Cru, and the Czar Imp. Stout. Dogfish Head, Avery, North Coast, and Allagash have rekindled my faith in American breweries lately.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #103 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Man I love that Weizen Eisbock. I can't find it anywhere in Texas though.
frown.gif

I had it for the first time in Atlanta last December along with the Rochefort 10.

Have you had Aventinus on draft? Absolutely amazing.

We're fortunate here to have the Eisbock very readily available. In fact, I usually get them from my local HEB grocery store! However, they are also at a number of other upscale grocery stores (central market, whole foods) and, of course, specialty beer shops.

I haven't had Aventinus on draft... Did you get it at Gingerman Houston? I just can't afford to be at those places too often
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #104 of 148
Goose Island beer.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #105 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
We're fortunate here to have the Eisbock very readily available. In fact, I usually get them from my local HEB grocery store! However, they are also at a number of other upscale grocery stores (central market, whole foods) and, of course, specialty beer shops.

I haven't had Aventinus on draft... Did you get it at Gingerman Houston? I just can't afford to be at those places too often
tongue.gif

No actually it was at the Gingerman Austin and I highly suggest you get over there and get a scooner of it.

They also had, this was during SXSW, the Schneider Organic Edel-Weisse. So good.

I hear you on the affordability but you gotta treat yourself every once in awhile. I wish the old head brewer at Bitter End hadn't left a year or two ago. He made a great 1100XX.

Here look they still have both on draft. Click draught beer list on the right and scroll down to Germany.

Regarding the Eisbock, if your HEB can get it then I'm going to my local one tomorrow and demand the wine steward order some.

http://www.gingermanpub.com/austin/a-frame.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back