what's your favorite 1/4" TRS plug?
Jan 15, 2007 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious to see what everyone's favorite high quality TRS plug is. In the past I've used some Neutrik NP3X-B's and they're a nice plug, but not very easy to work with and they can't accept very large awg cable. I've been looking at the Canare F16 as I like the F12 mini plugs.

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 14
those do look nice! I do like the way the neutrik plugs look, just not the way they go together and for some reason not all the contact points make contact on my LD II+
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Alright, I called up and got some prices on the Amphenol plugs. There is a $50 minimum order and shipping and tax as well, but I would like to try out a few of the plugs, but I only need a handful. Is anyone else interested in going in with me?

Pricing:
TS3PB black finish, nickel plated contacts $3.22ea for quantity of 10
TS3P-AU satin finish, gold plated contacts $3.88ea for quantity of 10
TS3PB-AU black finish, gold plated contacts $4 ea for quantity of 10

I would be willing to purchase 8-10 of the TS3P-AU or TS3PB-AU plugs so if anyone else wants to piggy back on so that I can reach the $50 minimum I'd be appreciative

Jan 18, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 14
I am not sure, I asked and the guy said he wasn't sure, but they usually charged a certain percentage of the total and it wouldn't be more then the actual shipping costs

I just got an email from Travis and he supplied the prices for the next price break at 25 units

TS3PB costs 2.90 for 25
TS3P-AU $3.50
TS3PB-AU $3.60

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 14
You want them that badly... ?

Kinda reversed scenario to what I'm used to, that is me wanting stuff from the US.
wink.gif

I was going to offer to send you one to see what they're like but now that I compare those ones aren't as nice as the ones I linked, maybe a discontinued or cheaper line. Now you've got me wanting some.
icon10.gif

Well the ones I can so easily get is the "Musicians" line, basically the line down from those that I quickly linked thinking they were the same, turns out to be the line above. Now I want some !

Check the datasheet though to make sure they're what you're after.

http://www.amphenol.com.au/catalogue...lugs_Jacks.pdf

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 14
I like the Canare F16s. The spring strain reliefs are nice, but not very resistant to pull out or stretching. Adding a small layer of heatshrink around the expanded portion of the spring makes pullout near impossible. It's still possible to stretch the spring out, though.

I'd like to find some that are slim and have a rubber strain relief. The Canares are nice, but still bulbousy.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 14
There are probably many good... but a bad one is the Amphenol ACPS-MRN right angle jack. Makes a bad contact in most of my 6.3" sockets and the right channel cuts in an out.
So i quickly returned to the good ole NP3C neutrik.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Canare F16 looks sturdy and good.. Canare isn't available here, in fact there isn't much to choose from

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 14
I have used the neutrik plugs before and while they look good, the strain relief clamps are made for the smallest wires. I had a heck of a time getting the plugs together with Canare mini-starquad! That's why I'm looking elsewhere. I figure these are basically the same price so if others want in then I can get some to try. If no one else wants in then I guess I'll keep looking

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'd be in for some black and gold. Ask him if it'd be cheaper/easier to send them to me and then I can send yours from here if so.

the place I called is in the NE USA so I highly doubt it would be cheaper. If you look up the distributer's on their website you may be able to call your local branch and get a cheaper price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back