What's your Dream Job?
Dec 2, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I have always wanted to make my living making music. When I was in high school and college I made my chump change playing music, then disco arrived.....and killed most of the clubs that hired live bands. It was probably for the best, as I found out that good musicians (I thought I was pretty good) were a dime a dozen....it was the exceptional musicians that were rare. Plus, I didn't want to spend my life playing Top 40 for 5 hours a night, Tuesday through Saturday.

......it sure was fun while it lasted though.

What do you actually do JMT? Always travelling... I though I read somewhere that you worked for a bank (or was that someone else?).

Dec 2, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #47 of 62
To work as a manager for Fred.
Description:
sit in an office, using the computer all day, doing absolutely nothing (besides listening to music on the various equipment) and starting pay of $5000/mo.
smily_headphones1.gif

HEY PAL, DONT YOU DARE CLOSE DOWN THAT SHOP BEFORE I GET OUT OF THE STINKIN NAVY!!!

Dec 4, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
To be a rich artist... And then in my spare time to devise complex machines with no practical purpose but having beautiful or interesting motion.

If you build any of those machines, ask a science museum if they would like a free exibit - mine has 4 of Roland Emmett's make-believe creations on display (three were in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang).
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
If you build any of those machines, ask a science museum if they would like a free exibit - mine has 4 of Roland Emmett's make-believe creations on display (three were in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang).
smily_headphones1.gif

How cool!! Can you elaborate some on these exhibits for us??? Maybe in a thread at Members Lounge?? I for one would like to read about your exploits with these exhibits.

Dec 4, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #52 of 62
Not much to say (and I didn't have anything to do with them - they've been there since I was a kid).

This is a drawing of the featherstone kite:
emett.jpg

Here are some of the contraptions from the movie:
emachf.jpg

Here is a link to a discussion about the museums latest exibit: a 1,500,000 Volt Tesla Coil

If you are ever in Arkansas and want a "tour guide", holler at me.

Dec 8, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
Not much to say (and I didn't have anything to do with them - they've been there since I was a kid).

sorry, when you said "ask a science museum if they would like a free exibit - mine has 4 of Roland Emmett's make-believe creations on display "

I assumed that mine meant that they were your exhibits, not your museum. Missed the reference to the direct object there and got al excited about nothing!!

Dec 8, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #55 of 62
GOVERNMENT JOB!!!

Seriously, its true, everyone hates the government until they are working for it! then its awesome
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would love to have a cushy government desk job, or even be a librarian....they get paid loads of money with no taxes or deductions on their wage....

Dec 8, 2002 at 1:19 PM Post #56 of 62
I really have no idea what I want to do. I'm no good at electronics, (and only really interested in audio electronics.. of which my 2 projects have failed dismally). I found myself spending more time designing a case than the actual project. In the end I used a VHS tape case
smily_headphones1.gif

Various other things I might enjoy.. Veterinarian.. err.. Pathologist (again, veterinary), zoo vet (neutering lions anyone? Speying monkeys?
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
:S)

I wouldn't even mind restoring old cars then selling 'em at hiked up prices
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
Is there a profession where one can travel the world?
Even Jungles, Mountains and other inhospitable places?

I want to see the world. I want to see it all.

Would someone suggest what I should do?

Arqueologist or anthorphologist (I just hope my spelling is rigth). I wanted to go to Cambridge and get a masters on either one or the two, but my U.S. visa expired and my girlfriend got me depressed, so I decided to return to Mexico instead of staying in the U.S., either as a student or illegal alien
biggrin.gif
. That would be my first choice for a dream job.

The other is to be a writer, either novellas or even comics. I want to do that, even if it in the internet with a free comic or something like that. I just need more time for it, and a new modem.

And my third choice would be going into a expedition looking for Bigfoot or any of his cousins in Asia, Africa or Australia. Just to have the chance to go into the wild.

And, ah yes! I allways wanted to be a **** actor
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #58 of 62
When I was younger, I was very involved with video games. In the days of Atari 2600, no company on earth was cooler than Activision. And no man represented Activision more than David Crane. If you look at the old Atari 2600 version of Pitfall, you'll see David Crane's name appear at the bottom of the screen when the Activision name rolls. David Crane was the hero of my world and I wanted more than anything to have that job some day.

In the early eighties, video game designers, artists and programmers were frequently all the same person. One person was often to only creator of some of the best early arcade and cartridge games. The autonomy and creative expression of these games is legendary even today.

As time progresssed, video games and video game companies became far more complex so my dream job mutated. I began to wish more to be a game designer viewing the role as somewhat similar to director of a Hollywood movie. This whole time, video games had become an obsession with me and had also been a great reliever of stress. I'd landed on Journalism as a major in college (having flirted with medical and computer science majors) and began writing game reviews for online and print magazines. My goal became: get a job as a magazine writer to get my foot in the door to eventually transition to development as a designer or producer.

An opportunity came when I graduated college. I'd met a friend who worked for a game company located here in Dallas and he had recommended me strongly to the company president siting my insight and abilities as a writer. I was hired as a technical writer who would fill the downtime of writing by learning minor artwork and animation. As time went on, I became less a writer and more of a 3D artist and animator. I worked with some of the most talented people I have ever known during this time and came to see my coworkers as family. When I give thanks for my blessings, I always remember this time in my life.

After two long years of effort, our publisher screwed the pooch (pardon my French) and our game that would have been every bit as popular as Everquest was shelved. I had been transitioned to another game to finally do design work with a Hollywood-type producer who was basically forced upon our company by a new publisher we were working with (who would eventually purchase the company and produce better games). To put it frankly, this guy was the biggest ******** I've ever had the displeasue of working with. He berated my team mates and had absolutely no iota of clue about what he was doing. Working with him became a great source of stress and my physical limitation were hit when my marriage fell into distress.

By this time, video games were no longer a stress reliever. Playing them made me think of work which often through me into a panic. Working on that game, I knew I was working on a game that could only turn out horrible at best. I left the company and surrendered my dream job. The game was finished and it tasted bittersweet knowing that my coworkers had gotten a game out (always a good feeling) but that it was indeed quite the turd of a game. I'm told that producer's roll was diminished more and more until he finally quit. I like to think today that he found his niche at some other company far removed from the video game industry where he never belonged and perhaps where I didn't belong either.

It's difficult to give up your dreams but the pay at the video game company was low, the hours were long and my love for the industry had become tainted. I began to think that if I really loved something, maybe I should just get a good paying job and do it as a hobby on my own.

I work with computers now because that's always come easy for me. I do minor programming and testing and it's a fairly mundane job, but it keeps a roof overhead and food in my stomach, so I can't complain. I hope to gain more experience and eventually transition into doing more systems and database work where the money and job security is a little better and the amount of things to learn number a bit higher.

I still today wonder about other options I'd been so close to persuing and often wonder if I might should explore my interests in sound engineering. I admire Tuberoller's ability to merge his hobby into something profitable and I wish I could do something similar myself. I'm obviously a big fan of Jan Meier's side business, too. It seems wrong somehow that I've not been able to think of something that I could at least break even on instead of buying equipment and posting poorly edited reviews.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #59 of 62
I wanna be a rock star. But I'm getting too old for that already. And I'm not a musician.

Barring that, I would love to own a combination bicycle/hi-fi/used book store. I could care less if I made money.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #60 of 62
Oh, come on. Getting paid to stared at beatuiful women all day would be amazing, wherether it's Playboy or Perfect 10. But not beyond that. You might not be able to touch it, but it the environment that you are working in couldn't be better. I would look forward to work everyday.

But I personally is trying to be an architect, almost there, only 18 months to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back