What's your biggest headphone dissapointment?
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #91 of 141
Jun 10, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #92 of 141
Yes. Sounded like crap to me.

Have you tried the Edition 12's? I am using one and am loving it. I was contemplating on the 10 or 12. Then I saw the Frequency response graph so I went on to purchase the 12. No regrets. Still am curious how the 10 would sound like compared to the 12.

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #93 of 141
I also stepped up little by little, in every price region I bought a few sidegrades over time.
Until I now ended up with the Meze Empyrean (should arrive friday)

My regrets come rather from the other side, since it was in total way more expensive that way.

And I just cant go back, I really loved my Shure SRH 1540, when I try them again now I can't enjoy them at all anymore. They are simply that much worse than my ~1k bracket cans (for their price they are still excellent tho)

However another important aspect is, that by buying many headphones and sidegrades I really got to know my preferences in sound, what is important to me personally and what is not.
Which was extremely important for the decision to commit on a TOTL.

In short, I never regretted going up in a higher price league, I only regretted that I "wasted" money before doing so.
While bot universally true, "you get what you pay for" - however I went for many "giant Killers" which were known to give a lot Bang for the buck.

I feel the same way in regards to avoiding buying too many giant killers.

I'm grateful there are more affordable ways to help find and fine tune our particular palates but Id rather also jump into a flagship model knowing I won't really bother looking back.

I notice a lot of the giant killers end up in the classifieds but its harder finding the flagships that werent already well loved for years.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #94 of 141
Giant killer of your wallet.

Jun 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #95 of 141
Have you tried the Edition 12's? I am using one and am loving it. I was contemplating on the 10 or 12. Then I saw the Frequency response graph so I went on to purchase the 12. No regrets. Still am curious how the 10 would sound like compared to the 12.
God no. Why would I after ED10?

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #97 of 141
I feel the same way in regards to avoiding buying too many giant killers.

I'm grateful there are more affordable ways to help find and fine tune our particular palates but Id rather also jump into a flagship model knowing I won't really bother looking back.

I notice a lot of the giant killers end up in the classifieds but its harder finding the flagships that werent already well loved for years.
Unlike me, who gave up entirely on high-end flagship headphones a long time ago because I would not have been able to enjoy the full benefits of such headphones with all of the audio equipment that I would ever own. In fact, I would have had to pay thousand of times more money than my gross total lifetime worth just on sources and amps alone just to make any flagship headphone sing. In other words, a job in retail, even as a full-time employee, won't cut it at all.

Remember, synergy between source and output is as important as the quality of the equipment itself.

Jun 10, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #98 of 141
Yes. Sounded like crap to me.
Tyll, is that you? I had a similar expression when I first heard the HD800 with young ears. lol

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #100 of 141
Tyll, is that you? I had a similar expression when I first heard the HD800 with young ears. lol

I had it on for minutes! I couldn't take it for more than 30sec. It was like the headphone was bagn

That review was golden - actually the good parts are in the measurement section - total S#itshow.

While listening to ED10 was a traumatizing experience for me, I own and do enjoy cans that sound like s#hit out of the box - namely all my Grados. As there is no perfect headphone, I EQ everything to modified Harmon curve and Grados are predictably s#hitty so that makes EQ easy and they sound wonderful afterwards.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #101 of 141
^ I remember when I first saw that video many years ago, I thought his reaction was because he liked the headphones so much.

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #103 of 141
disappointed for the amount of cash they dropped.

A lot. But no dissapointment in that, just the learning curve and one simple rule to audition expenisve purchases (above ~1k) before buying them

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #104 of 141
But I wonder how many have gone in the deep end and are disappointed for the amount of cash they dropped.
Too many. They don't know what they like and what they don't like. Most here have not developed their ability to listen and don't know what sounds good to them. This is why you have crowds of people buying a "giant killer" only to sell less than a year later chasing the next "giant killer" and they are all disappointed in the first "giant killer" - and it goes round and around.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #105 of 141
Too many. They don't know what they like and what they don't like. Most here have not developed their ability to listen and don't know what sounds good to them. This is why you have crowds of people buying a "giant killer" only to sell less than a year later chasing the next "giant killer" and they are all disappointed in the first "giant killer" - and it goes round and around.
That is usually the start of curiosity in this hobby. You find recommended gear and you try them out and you're not sure if you like them or not. Then once you get a hold of a few others and verify what you hear with others on forums, you start questioning whether what you're hearing is as they described and start questioning if you actually like them or not.

Once you're able to understand how sound is described and such and found your preferred tuning, then it goes downhill from there on out. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back