What's your biggest headphone dissapointment?
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 141
EQ the mid bass bump and put 1W behind the cans will change your opinion of its sound signature. That mid bass bump really muddies everything above and below.
The mid bass actually does them favors as that's not the biggest issue, the upper mid, treble area is a massive roller coaster and EQing that mid bass is grain city. The lack of dynamics isn't a fault of mid bass, it's the drivers.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 141
The mid bass actually does them favors as that's not the biggest issue, the upper mid, treble area is a massive roller coaster and EQing that mid bass is grain city. The lack of dynamics isn't a fault of mid bass, it's the drivers.
I don't have those issues with my setup. Once the bass/lower mid range is EQed, the cans sound very good. You need to dump more power into the cans.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 141
I don't have those issues with my setup. Once the bass/lower mid range is EQed, the cans sound very good. You need to dump more power into the cans.
More power isn't going to fix the FR and issues with these. These phones are not hard to drive, at all, some of my main amps will throw these around fairly easily. Sorry but nothing will make me change my mind, these phones suck.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #21 of 141
Grado 225e, though I guess the whole Grado range isn't tuned to my ears because I've tried the 60, 80 and 125 as well and found them not worth any of my money.

If we include IEMs, the Moondrop Starfield were a big disappointment to me.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #22 of 141
Stax SRL500. I wanted to try Stax and bought their amp and earphones. Total waste of money. The most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned and I've owned many. Even putting comfort aside the sound was underwhelming. I listen mostly to Classical and that should have been a good match but terrible lack of any bass and soundstage along with the drivers touching my ears and they went on sale fast.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #23 of 141
Sennheiser HD800. What a waste of money.
I love the way my pair sounds with the right amp, but the HD800 is my biggest disappointment anyway: I replaced the expensive OEM cables and pads twice before I realized that they were only designed well enough to last a couple years before disintegrating.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #24 of 141
I love the way my pair sounds with the right amp, but the HD800 is my biggest disappointment anyway: I replaced the expensive OEM cables and pads twice before I realized that they were only designed well enough to last a couple years before disintegrating.

For me the Hd800S sounds great off the right amp.

My Monoprice thx 887 (amp-only) makes it not sound distant. And the treble is smoother.....But this is the Hd800S, it doesn't need as much treble correction as the HD800.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #25 of 141
For me the Hd800S sounds great off the right amp.

My Monoprice thx 887 (amp-only) makes it not sound distant at all. Sounds just right. And the treble is smoother.... But this is the Hd800S, it doesn't need as much treble correction as the HD800.
For me it's the Laconic Night Blues Mini or EC Aficionado. HD800 sounds nice with both: smooth and full, but without any loss of resolution.

My pair has the SDR mod, so maybe that helps the synergy.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #26 of 141
My pair of Grado SR60's which are in the drawer storage atm.
Audeze LCD-1's are my replacement :D

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #28 of 141
I've heard this pretty much.

I disliked the Auteur and sold that off quickly as I could. It just sounded too colored, and had a sound that had an enclosed space kinda sound I can describe as 'tubby' I really disliked. It some brightness somewhere up top just stuck out. I compared it to HD6XX, and just found HD6XX more accurate. Auteur was what $1600?! No thank you. I will not be looking at another ZMF again. If it was much lower priced, maybe. Not interested in Verite with this experience. I could care less how the wood looks, it needs to sound right.

Forget it was Eikon or that other closed one, but the tuning had wood resonance! Bloomy wood resonance? Seriously?

Audeze headphones? Resolution was avg for the price. Upper-mids recessions? Not all that open/airy sounding? LCDi4 at $2.4k was huge, huge disappointment. EQ was placebo, and didn't fix it's issues. I don't like thick mids and recessed upper-mids. Please no such level of color.
I disagree about the Audeze as the LCD 4s have the sig I've been looking for, which leads me to my biggest disappointment: the sennheiser 800. They just plain hurt my ears to listen to and Eqing them just made them sound dull.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #29 of 141
For me it have been the focal clear.

I could Audition them for hours in a quiet environment together with Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1 and Hifiman Edition X V2.

While I could see all of them having something going for them and subsequently bought the Edition X, I just couldnt get myself to like the clear.

However my brother who was there with ne at the time, actually prefered the sound of the clear the most.
This is a really subjective Hobby.

Just like some here dislike the empyreans Bass, it is one of the things why I like it more than the competition

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back