What's your Audio Nirvana?
Jul 3, 2009 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

danik

Head-Fier
I wanted to start this thread asking "So what's your audio nirvana". What Synergy Unit do you use (my made up phrase describing the Source/Dac/Amp/Cans combo).

Can't wait to see the responses....

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by danik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to start this thread asking "So what's your audio nirvana". What Synergy Unit do you use (my made up phrase describing the Source/Dac/Amp/Cans combo).

Can't wait to see the responses....

Does the sound of crickets chirping in the still night air count as a 'response' ... wait - I think I just saw a tumbleweed blow down the main street. Exciting.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 32
i really liked mikeymad's stax o2mk1 + singlepower setup at canjam 09

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 32
I finished my first step into audiophile. Got the headphones I've wanted, thankfully I didn't have to experiment much. I am very happy with my YUIN PK1, MS1000 and the upcoming Grado HF2.

I did venture a little in the amp department, but so far, I've only got three dinky lightweight portable amps; FiiO E3, BSG Cmoy and PA2v2. Nothing so special there, as they do nothing but make stuff sound louder in general. I'm looking forward to buy a MiniBox E+ and a Pico DAC, and hopefully I find the nirvana there.

As of right now, as pathetic as it may seem, I'm enjoying these cheesy set-ups..

ALAC > iPod Classic > Apple Line-Out dock > homebrew interconnect (mini to mini) > PA2v2/BSG Cmoy > YUIN PK1.

ALAC > Apple MacBook > homebrew interconnect (mini to mini) > PA2v2/BSG Cmoy > YUIN PK1/MS1000

Hopefully I'll find my nirvana from:

ALAC > Apple MacBook > HeadAmp PICO DAC > MiniBox E+ > YUIN PK1/MS1000/HF2

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 32
Currently I am getting the best sound ever out of my headphone system. I started this journey back in 2002. Anyway, I am using the Redwine Audio Isabella/DAC as the source, VD Night ICs, EAR HP4 amp, and Grado PS 1000 as the phones. It is almost to much of a good thing though. I wanted a warm sounding system because I seem to be really sensitive to harsh setups. I got now, in spades. I may want just a little more bite so I might swaps some tubes in or ICs. That is nit picking though, I could really finally be content with this setup for a long long time. I love it. With that said, I'm not afraid of trying something new too since I enjoy the hunt so much.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 32
To be honest, I get a lot more satisfaction from my speakers than my headphones these days. At least I can say that my headphone don't sound different enough timbre-wise that it is jarring to switch when I need to late at night.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 32
lately, like ph0rk, I've really been on a speakers kick.

As far as headphones go, I've been digging the starving student -> HD201 or AD700 so much that I've just not been able to pull the trigger on upgrading. I'm so satisfied with this humble setup, that its making me want to sell gear (SR60i, D1001, FiiO E5) more than its making me want to buy new gear.

and as far as audio nirvana goes, its hard to beat my iPod + KSC75s + the park with my puppy or the poolside with a margarita.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 32
I'm enjoying my new vintage speaker setup right now. I guess not synergistic as far as sound goes, but price-wise.

But as far as synergy goes, AD700+warm source+warm amp+impedance adapter is my favorite. It basically shores up all of the AD700's weaknesses. The impedance adapter is really nice because without it, you can't amp the AD700's without getting hiss due to the high conductivity PCCOCC cable.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 32
these are on loan for testing and reviewing (except the iPod Touch, it's mine), but since the first time I've heard them, I've already planned on not returning them to their respectful owners... I'm way too happy with the way they sound
tongue.gif

* iPod Touch 2G
* DIY LOD cable using Jena 18G wires, Neutrik 1/8" plug, BlackGate NX coupling caps (this LOD was actually made for my friend's iMod, but why not borrow it as well)
* Senn HD600 w/ SAA Equinox cable terminated w/ Furutech 1/4" plug
* "Moonvoice" hybrid amp (SS+tube, DIY'ed by a friend of mine, uses single tube but I have no idea if the tube works on the gain or output stage -- I'll have to ask him) w/ JAN 6SN7WGTA tube (I have no idea which manufacturer made this tube -- TungSol, RCA, or Sylvania? it's got brown base and top getter... fast, detailed, yet smooth tube)

I love how the HD600 sounds on that setup when I'm listening to Jason Mraz's "Love For A Child" or Celine Dion's "The Prayer"... if I'd die tomorrow, I might take them all with me to the grave and hope the owners would just let go
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 32
1) Cowon D2+/CLATronic CDP 537 > X-CanV8P > K701/DT880/HD600/SR-225i/SR-325i

2) Cowon D2+/CLATronic CDP 537 > CIAudio VHP-2 > Grado SR-225i/SR-325i

3) Marantz VC-6001 > X-CanV8P > K701/DT880/HD600/SR-225i/SR-325i

Those are my favorite setups. I use #1 more than the rest. The VHP-2 does incredibly well with Grado's as it doesn't have a current limiter, so the Grados will take as much current as they can get. The K701 does good with it also, but far better with the X-CanV8P. The SR-60i to SR-225I\i sound great on the V8P as well as they kinda sound thin, and the X-Can's tubs fill em out.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 32
I stopped aiming for audio nirvana and aimed for audio valhalla when my Pro 900 started mocking my inability to make it sound neutral, detailed, or intimate. My war with my pro 900 has been a long and costly one, but now I think I'm near fulfilling the detail limit of the Pro 900 drivers and there's a soundstage its closed-back earcups can't do full justice to. It's still not as intimate as I remember the HFI-2200 being but I think since it's been trounced on the soundstage front I can now enter the gates to audio valhalla.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 32
Source: season tickets to Vienna Philharmonic
DAC: i don't know how much more analog one can get
Amp: Musikverein
Cans: they're invisible and have no mass?

haha...but in all seriousness that's an excellent question and i feel will be staggeringly different depending on the person...i myself have not heard enough yet but if i had a ton of money i'd probably build something like:

furman power conditioner
computer
DAC1
gilmore lite, raptor, or ha5000
and then i dont know what phones (well...w5000 to pair with the ha5000)

and then what's beyond that is beyond me for any foreseeable future

i should note that im extremely satisfied with my current setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 32
I don't have the ultimate rig but to me, it's a nirvana in itself, the well-known sinergy between my Stello units and the HD650 is amazing and gives the best out of these phones.

I probably could get better but would still love this rig because of its unique sound.

Now you can see my next steps in my sig, and also here's what I would like to have as a ultimate rig :

HD800
Zana Deux or Beta22
Red Wine Audio Isabellina
Some nice CDT (maybe Stello CDT100)

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back