What's your acceptable weight for a headphone?
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SkyZippr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not trying to convince anyone or trying to make any point; I'm just curious.
I find the weight of Hifiman Ananda (399 grams) acceptable, but Focal Clear (450 grams) immediately felt like a burden to my neck, so I suppose my acceptable weight for a headphone is somewhere around 400 grams.
Headphones like M1060 (500 grams) and LCD2C (550 grams) are attracting, but their weight scares me away. Not sure if it has anything to do with me being an Asian.

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not trying to convince anyone or trying to make any point; I'm just curious.
I find the weight of Hifiman Ananda (399 grams) acceptable, but Focal Clear (450 grams) immediately felt like a burden to my neck, so I suppose my acceptable weight for a headphone is somewhere around 400 grams.
Headphones like M1060 (500 grams) and LCD2C (550 grams) are attracting, but their weight scares me away. Not sure if it has anything to do with me being an Asian.
I am not Asian and I agree with you. I had to sell my Focal Elex based on comfort or lack thereof, broke my heart. From now on, weight and proper comfort is a top criteria for me. Can't listen to music if allI can think of is: "god damn, if only those were a tiny bit comfortable!". Definitely has to be under 400g and the lower the better.

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 5
I know many people can handle more, but 450g is pretty much my limit. I prefer to keep it under 300g though, most of the time. My go to headphones are the HD 650 and HD 660S. Even if the weight is well distributed, heavy cans will make my neck sore after a while.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 5
I agree with HD650 and 660S. They don't look or feel much premium, but based on their reputation I suppose they are very durable.
Sometimes I wonder what would it be like if those high-end headphones were made of plastic. I mean, even HD880S are made of plastic, but they do feel premium imo.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 5
My limit is 400g. It also depends on the headband. I once bought the Denon 7200 and while it's light, the headband hurts like a $#@%&. Requested a return within one hour max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back