Whats you take on fretlight? (LED Guitar)
Apr 9, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CaseJ

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Well i picked up an acoustic gutiar a couple of weeks ago and im rather enjoying it. I decided to start lessons wednesday and i started to poke around on the forum and saw some people talking about all the great information on the internet, which lead me to Fretlight. To me this seems like a cool idea but what do you guys think? I don't really know anyone who plays the guitar thats why im thinking something showing me reading and placement like this would be nice.
Here is there website;
http://www.fretlight.com/

I noticed that they charge you for software and songs but i noticed that ultimate-guitar.com has the power tabs for free i think. What do you think of this? Or is this something that sounds good but isn't.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 5
Don't know anything about that product, but it sounds like a really cool idea. It can't take the place of getting some lessons, but it should help you learn scales and chords much quicker then books. Getting some lessons in early is a good idea too IMO: a teacher can tell you if the habbits you're forming are good or not....and hopefully point out better habbits that you wouldn't have read or figured out
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I haven't had time to check out the website, but I'm amazed they're still around. They were first on the market more than 10 years ago with an acoustic 6 string, a tele - like electric, and for a short period of time, an electric bass, but ran into financial difficulty and for the longest time their website indicated that the company was out of business but looking for new investors. Glad to see they've come back, as I think it's a good idea as a teaching aid. They used to advertise that a member of the band "America" used one on stage.

I know they had some QC problems with both the guitars and software, but there's no reason that couldn't have been rectified by now. That sort of light system has been used for a while on keyboards, so why not fretboards? Will have to look at that site when I get time.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 5
anything that helps, can't hurt. honestly i could use something like that for scales. chords i learned out of a book in a week (well, the ones i could handle without howling) but scales are nasty.

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 5
I saw online awhile ago that you could take different songs and play them at 10% of there speed so you could watch the progression which seemed pretty cool. They sell B-Stock ones on ebay but heck if i know what to look for in a electric though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back