What's wrong with my HD650s?
Mar 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

1000+ Head-Fier
The bass and stuff seems to be to the left instead of the center.
I put them on backwards and it's centered more to the right, so it's not my ears.
I was going to sell them (and keep my AD2000 because the bass seems to extend lower) and assumed it was just my ears/imagination until I put them on backwards...
Short of fiddling with the drivers which could damage them more or at least make the sound weird I'm really not sure what to do.
Would Sennheiser repair them at a cost (ideally much less than what I paid for them) so I can sell them on?

What do you think I should do?

It'd kinda suck to find out they're broken, I was hoping to sell them and buy some nice closed/portable cans.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 18
Hehe that normally just messes up imaging rather than a slight channel imbalance. The next thing to check is the drivers themselves. Any 'dimples' on the driver need to be fixed. Be careful though as you could easily damage them. I know of one person who had an imbalanced caused by this. He simply 'popped' them back out.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 18
[size=xx-large]T̵̮̠͕̞̩̜̹̻̜̥̪̪͈̘ͣͪ̈̀͛̈́̃̾ͣͨ̍̃̋ͩ͒̕̕͜͡H̸̵̎ͫͤͫ̇͌̈́ͤ̑̓͞͡ ̵̼̼͇̘̳̯̥̰̻̦̦̜̭͍ͅA͈͚͙̘̪̬̪̖͔͕͛̍ͤ͛ͥ̽͘͢͞͠Ņ̸̶̬̉̓̒̐̌̔͂͠ ̣̥̙͙͍̪̦̼̣̖̰̩̺K̴̑ͤͭ͂͐͏̩̺̝͖͎̻̟̱͈͕̙Sͯ͐͋͆͗̉ͭͦ̆̎ͪͥͩ̎͛́͞ ̸̙̗̘̲̞͈̣̗̞̗̩̤͎͡[/size]

What do you mean by dimples?

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-large]T̵̮̠͕̞̩̜̹̻̜̥̪̪͈̘ͣͪ̈̀͛̈́̃̾ͣͨ̍̃̋ͩ͒̕̕͜͡H̸̵̎ͫͤͫ̇͌̈́ͤ̑̓͞͡ ̵̼̼͇̘̳̯̥̰̻̦̦̜̭͍ͅA͈͚͙̘̪̬̪̖͔͕͛̍ͤ͛ͥ̽͘͢͞͠Ņ̸̶̬̉̓̒̐̌̔͂͠ ̣̥̙͙͍̪̦̼̣̖̰̩̺K̴̑ͤͭ͂͐͏̩̺̝͖͎̻̟̱͈͕̙Sͯ͐͋͆͗̉ͭͦ̆̎ͪͥͩ̎͛́͞ ̸̙̗̘̲̞͈̣̗̞̗̩̤͎͡[/size]

What do you mean by dimples?

Interesting
wink.gif

600-driver-assy-300x225.jpg

Your driver should look like that. You can actually push in the diaphragm to get a dent/dimple etc. As you can see, the diaphragm is not smooth and has little grooves. These are where these dents are most common.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe that normally just messes up imaging rather than a slight channel imbalance. The next thing to check is the drivers themselves. Any 'dimples' on the driver need to be fixed. Be careful though as you could easily damage them. I know of one person who had an imbalanced caused by this. He simply 'popped' them back out.

I thought the "dimples" would cause distortion and not imbalance, but I've never experienced them, that's why I didn't think of that.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 18
Whenever this happened to me (hasn't happened in a long time), it always turned out to be the wire connections between source and amp or amp and headphones. Check your source/amp also by testing them with other headphones.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 18
It's the same using the stock cable with my Teclast T51, or my balanced cable with my Little Dot MK VII.
I'll take off the pads n stuff tomorrow to have a look, and if anything looks different between the two I'll remove the grills to fix it. At the moment I am WAAAY too tired.

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 18
Not a problem. Probably in the music. I have the same situation with: beyer DT880, Sony MDR-XB700, AKG K319 so it's not your Senns. Ask yourself: Why are the woofers always positioned left in 2.1 speaker systems?

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 18
u might have a deflated driver. open them up, look at the driver. if the drivers dome is not nicely puffed up like normal then blow in to the back of it to puff it back up. happens quite regularly around here. has happenned to me twice.

there is a small chance that the mylar melted on to the voice coil when deflating, i have seen that only once

also- try pushing in the cables plug going into that cup. senn cables are notorious for this. a 2 second fix!

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a problem. Probably in the music. I have the same situation with: beyer DT880, Sony MDR-XB700, AKG K319 so it's not your Senns. Ask yourself: Why are the woofers always positioned left in 2.1 speaker systems?

The bass is on the left in some music.
I didn't know that woofers are on the left, I always imagined speaker systems would be symmetrical for proper front/back left/right balance.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 18
I started the thread that the other poster linked to. When the driver wasn't seated properly, it sounded imbalanced, so check this first. The plug for that side will also feel a bit loose or lack a solid click when seated, so thats another hint. Hae you dropped them recently, that might dislodge the driver.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 18
I had exact the same problem using my receivers HP jack. Then i tryed the headphone amp Graham slee Solo, the bass was centered and perfect. So i dont know if the receivers HP jack is damaged or what. I am noob .

I also use HD650

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had exact the same problem using my receivers HP jack. Then i tryed the headphone amp Graham slee Solo, the bass was centered and perfect. So i dont know if the receivers HP jack is damaged or what. I am noob .

I also use HD650

A sure way to know would be to try another headphones with that receiver, if the problem persists then definitely it is something wrong with the receiver. Otherwise... I don't know, I mean amplification affects soundstage and imaging, but I've never heard it affect the overall balance of the sound, as in everything coming from predominantly from one side in one amp and balanced in another one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back