What's wrong with my ears? (Little Dot II)
Mar 18, 2006 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got a second-hand Little Dot II. Fired it up, plugged in my 325i's and played some Stevie Ray Vaughan (on tubes, the Stevie would have wanted it) through my C 521BEE.

I gotta say, it sounds great (considering the price point), much, much better than I expected. The disclaimer is that this is my first tube amp, and I deliberately got an inexpensive one to just get a taste of the tube sound. My other amps are a Gilmore Lite and a PortaphileV2.

The LDII takes quite a bit of the edge off of the Grados without losing any of the detail. Frankly, I'm shocked that a $100 tube amp can provide what I'm hearing. There is no noticeable hiss, hum, or buzz with the volume at max (no signal of course) and only a very slight ringing when I tap on the body of the amp. I'm baffled by all of the seemingly negative stuff I've read about this amp.

So, I ask, what's wrong with my ears?

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Can you do some comparisons between the Little Dot II and your Gilmore Lite and Portaphile?

It's funny, but I tend to shy away from posting comparisons, for two reasons:

My ears may hear/process things differently from others, and I still consider myself a bit of a n00b at this. I don't have any experience with truly high-end gear. I always urge folks to let their own ears decide. So that's my disclaimer.

To respond to your request, first off, I don't have my Portaphile. I use it at work, and I'm at home right now.

Regarding the others: The most obvious difference I hear when switching between the G Lite and the LDII is that the Lite sounds faster and more analytical, a bit more refined and punchy. The LDII seems to add some warmth to the music. This is with my 325i. They both sound great, but I'm enjoying the difference of the tube sound.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 9
I love my LD II for all its worth, until i really need to get the M3
very_evil_smiley.gif

Definitely the best 100 dollars you can spend on
580smile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
It's funny, but I tend to shy away from posting comparisons, for two reasons:

My ears may hear/process things differently from others, and I still consider myself a bit of a n00b at this. I don't have any experience with truly high-end gear. I always urge folks to let their own ears decide. So that's my disclaimer.

To respond to your request, first off, I don't have my Portaphile. I use it at work, and I'm at home right now.

Regarding the others: The most obvious difference I hear when switching between the G Lite and the LDII is that the Lite sounds faster and more analytical, a bit more refined and punchy. The LDII seems to add some warmth to the music. This is with my 325i. They both sound great, but I'm enjoying the difference of the tube sound.

Yup I feel the same way. I enjoy my Hf-1 immensely with BOTH my solid state headroom little and my tubed Jasmine. (another Chinese tube amp). Depending on my listening mood I hook my Hf-1 to either one.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 9
Sweet, great impressions Tech2. By the way, I was gunning for Minh's amp too, but I guess you beat me to the shot
redface.gif
Anywho, I scored the LD II off of another forum member here, I'll make sure to post some thoughts too. I was kinda worried about the quality of these, since a lot of them had strange QC problems with the caps exploding and low volume, but I'm glad to hear that yours is in great shape. Gives me some reason to think that mine will be a good too.
biggrin.gif

Catch you later,
Id

Users who are viewing this thread

Back