What's wrong with my AKG's???
Oct 31, 2003 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

master83

Head-Fier
Hi!

I have had the AKG K271's for about a month now and ever since I got them I've noticed a rattling sound from the right earcup when playing really deep bass i.e. the beginning of "Massive Attack - Angel" or "A Perfect Circle - Lullaby". The best way I can describe the sound is that it's small but fast "clicks" at a frequency of about 15-25 Hz.I've tried swapping channels on my amp but there's still this annoying sound from the right earcup.When I press in the earcup the sound is weaker, but not all gone. When I use my ER-4P's from the same amp, the sound is gone (perhaps because they can't produce that low sound?). Anyway, the K271's sound supreme with all other music, but there is this annoying detail that I'm trying to figure out.

The headphones have been burnt in properly, and have not been overpowered by me. I've been really careful with them.

So what shall I do? Just return them to the seller and get them fixed on the warranty? Any Idea of what this can be?

Tnx.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 6
Check for hair that has struck into the foam and therefore will hit the driver-unit. Well the easiest way will be to blow as hard as you can into the driver area, or even better: take off the pad + foam and check in direct light if you can find dust / hair in them (the foamie, especially)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Since you say that you have not damaged them, either there's some dirt on the driver or the driver has come a bit loose and starts to resonate against the housing at certain frequencies.
check both possibilities.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 6
I've taken of the pad and blown all over, but the sound is still there. Without the Pad on, while pressing the cup into my ear the sound disappears! Could it be that the driver is loose? How can I fix this without opening it (cause this will void the warranty right?)

BTW: there is no hair or dust that I can see from the outside stuck into the driver area.

Oct 31, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Thats what I was thinking when reading your post, a loose driver.

Since I have only experience with sony earbud restorations (really done this lots), I would not know how the driver should be properly fixed to the housing, if you can assess the inside situation without leaving a trace it will not void your warranty (just use a black felt pen on those painted black screws if they are used, (this is done to prove you have unscrewed the unit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back