What's wrong with me? Cowon D2 Kills my other rigs!
Jun 6, 2008 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know if it is me being smitten..maybe temporary love..I have no idea what. But I find myself loving my Cowon D2 straight and unamped out of all of my other portable rigs. I have not in the past been so enamoured by a single DAP and I have not sustained the love for as long as I have had the D2, which admittedly is not long. I think something else might come along later but so far the D2 kills my beloved Nano Super MINI IV rig enough for me to consider selling it. I am also considering selling my zune 80 which I saved up for and vowed on the first day I got it not to get rid of it. Anyone want to convice me not to?

The D2. It's horrible. Because I love it.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 62
Cowons are sweet in love with my iAudio i7 too
smily_headphones1.gif
:cowonface:
How are those LWs sounding out of the D2?

Cheers,
Frederik

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 62
I have the D2 too. I used to love it like that...until I got my iRiver back ^_^. But it still gets my unconditional love even though I don't use it anymore ^_^

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 62
filipelli - I have to agree with you, it sounds awesome unamped. But I find it sounds even better with a decent amp. The bass is becomes even deeper, the soundstage is greatly increased, and all in all, just sounds a lot more fun and exciting. It's a great match, since the amp will likely warm up the often criticized cold and detailed signature of the D2, while maintaining the detail and other strengths.

Currently I'm using a RSA Predator with my D2 (using no EQ settings whatsoever, and volume turned to 49 to simulate a darn similar signal to that of a line-out), though I've had great success with a RSA Tomahawk as well. I've also known others to use the Corda 2Move with pleasing results.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 62
I have been considering pairing a headsix with the cowon d2. I have heard a lot of great things about that pairing, and I imagine it would be similar to the corda move. However..at this point, I am just thinking, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Jun 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 62
You're not alone. It may sound strange but my Grados sound just as incredible straight out of my D2 as they do with my 5.5g / Corda 2Move.

I see no reason to amp the D2, otherwise it loses one of it's greatest attributes, which is being abundantly powerful yet compact. It sure does sound great amped, however.

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowons are sweet in love with my iAudio i7 too
smily_headphones1.gif
:cowonface:
How are those LWs sounding out of the D2?

Cheers,
Frederik

To be honest, my ue5c pairs so well with the D2, that I haven't used anything else but it on the player. It is black silent when plugged in the D2, and the bass impact of the UE5c fits well with the coldness and clarity of the D2. I can't quite describe it. Magical for sure.
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 62
I love mine too. They sound great with PK2! I have been using ER-6i a lot lately since I got some Shure olives and they sound great with them as well.

What are your JetEffects settings?

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no reason to amp the D2, otherwise it loses one of it's greatest attributes, which is being abundantly powerful yet compact. It sure does sound great amped, however.

I certainly agree with this for IEMs. However, my SR225s defintely need an amp, and the Tomahawk will do, to bring out their potential. The Grados are easy to drive but leave me wanting more when they're unamped.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I.... The D2. It's horrible. Because I love it.

Maybe thats because you haven't heard the Sony A829
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 62
Glad you found your audio Shangri-La.

Meanwhile I'm still searching ... next step sell D2 and buy one of:

Sony A829
new Meizu (if it ever comes out)
iRiver Spinn (most likely, but gonna have to wait
frown.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back