Whats wrong with Country Music?
Dec 22, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
If you ever get the chance, you have to find "The King is Gone" by George Jones.

It's about a man, sitting in his now empty apartment, with a bottle of Jim Beam (Elvis decanter) and a jar (Fred Flintstone shaped) of jelly beans, and contains one of the great choruses I've ever heard:

"I pulled the head off Elvis
Filled Fred up to his pelvis
Yabba dabba doo...
The King is gone...
and so are you."

Now THAT'S country music!!
biggrin.gif

I have that track on CD. Great stuff. I've yet to come across anything of George Jones.

"I broke Elvis's nose
Pouring the last drop from his toes
Yabba dabba doo
The King is gone
and so are you."

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I agree with a lot of you. Not all country music is crap -- only the severely overexposed "POP" types of country music.

The words "I like everything except country and rap" should have been stated as "I listen to everything except country and rap".

It's sad that all Country music gets tarred with the same brush. Alison Kruass & Union Station are phenomenal band both in the studio and live.

Individually each of the band members are at the top of their game and as a band they sound so much more than the sum of their parts.

Yet despite this a lot of people will still say "I like everything except country".

IRC I think the biggest selling album by a female artist ever is "The Woman In Me" by Shania Twain. I have two copies of this album and although not out and out country it's still country. The popularity of the O' Brother soundtrack also stands as testament to the music as the volume of album sales demonstrates.

I don't agree with the idea that the music is localised. Sure, somebody from say Texas is more likely to listen to country than somebody in the UK, but given todays technology there are no longer any restraints over boundaries as an album can be released today and tomorrow it can be heard by people in India, Australia, Iraq, Russia or wherever with the advent of the internet and satellite.

If people could drop their prejudices and just listen to the music, whatever genre it may be they would get so much more from it.

Dec 22, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 29
Ahhh, only on an audiophile forum would people say that the reason nobody likes country is because it is too much like pop. The real reason most people don't like country is because it is not enough like pop. Otherwise they would say "I like everything except pop."

Country is localized, at least culturally, and it's hard to stand listening long enough to develop a taste for it unless you relate to that culture. Only a small portion of people listen to country for the same reason that only a small portion of people speak in ebonics, or go surfing. Keep in mind that when a person says "I like everything except..." what they are usually actually saying is "I like all mainstream music except..." This does not mean they like death metal, polkas, jpop, or even classical. Country and rap get singled out because, while they seem to be centered around a very specific culture and therefor turn off a lot of people, that culture is significant enough in the U.S. that the music gets major radio play and everyone is exposed to it.

Dec 22, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Rempert
Keep in mind that when a person says "I like everything except..." what they are usually actually saying is "I like all mainstream music except..." This does not mean they like death metal, polkas, jpop, or even classical.

That's a good point, since most of the people I know who'd say something like that think that metal is either Korn and Limp Bisquick, or Warrant and Poison. Nothing a little Slayer can't solve!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 29
I'm a huge country fan. There are a few good tunes on the country stations now, but if you really want to get the good stuff, you have to dig a little deeper (and in many cases, older). That's with any genre now days though, besides classical, I guess. :/

Anyways....

Alabama
The Charlie Daniels Band
Hank Williams, Jr.
David Allan Coe

... to name a few. All very talented. A word of warning, Hank and David can be pretty offensive at times. Especially David. So, if that bothers you, just keep it in mind and be selective about what you listen to. The first two your safe with whatever you listen to from there.

Alabama I just saw in concert. They are on their farewell tour. It was an amazing concert. The best I've been to.

As far as newer country, Brooks & Dunn are very good. Pat Green is too.

People often don't like country because they don't give it a chance. I've had many people tell me they hate country, and then I'll play some Alabama or such and next thing I know I'm copying the CD for him or her.

Country is my favorite genre in many ways because it relates to the common man. It's stuff I can relate to and that makes me get into the music more.

If you want an excellent introduction to country, pick up the new Alabama Album:

Alabama - American Farewell Tour

It has a bunch of their hits, is recorded well and will make you a fan forever. Next thing you know you'll be back for more!
wink.gif

Charlie Daniels Band - Live is another great intro album. Awesome instrimentation.

David Allen Coe - Live at Billy Bob's Texas is great too.

(as you can tell, I like Live albums, but, I own all the CDs too
smily_headphones1.gif
)

-Chad

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 29
Almost forgot:

Quote:

Originally posted by Rempert
Ahhh, only on an audiophile forum would people say that the reason nobody likes country is because it is too much like pop.

Country is localized, at least culturally, and it's hard to stand listening long enough to develop a taste for it unless you relate to that culture. Only a small portion of people listen to country for the same reason that only a small portion of people speak in ebonics, or go surfing. Keep in mind that when a person says "I like everything except..." what they are usually actually saying is "I like all mainstream music except..." This does not mean they like death metal, polkas, jpop, or even classical. Country and rap get singled out because, while they seem to be centered around a very specific culture and therefor turn off a lot of people, that culture is significant enough in the U.S. that the music gets major radio play and everyone is exposed to it.

It should be noted country is still the most listened to genre of music. In addition, you don't have to be born in the South to like country. I even know people that live in northern cities that listen to it. David Allan Coe, famed badass redneck, was born in Ohio. It's not just southern. It's also rural and suburban areas up north, and even in the cities. Country is all over the place.

Dec 22, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 29
I agree Noesis. Country is definitely everywhere. The odd thing about it, though, is while it's played on radio stations all over the place, a lot more people put it on mute as opposed to when a rap or R&B song comes on. Strange. They can handle the constant swearing and subject of rap, but they can't handle the Dixie Chicks(!). I think there is a stigma surrounding the genre as someone else mentioned above that Country is inherently "uncool."
As for my own lack of taste regarding Country:

Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Country music is quite popular in the area I grew up in, yet it annoys the heck out of me for the most part:

1. The "twang" sound, whether in vocals or instrumentals, I just can't stand it, it's like scratching nails on a chalkboard to me.

Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
...The extra effort the singers put into making sure they throw that exaggerated southern accent into the singing. (Garth Brooks, worst offender)...

...They ALL act like they are from the south, grew up in a shack, and sat on the back porch singing about their Daddies and their "Mawmuhs"...

Yep, yep, and yep! Of course, I do like a lot of the bluegrass played in "O Brother, Where art Thou?" and I get the feeling that I'd like a lot more of it if I started looking into it, but I'm broke enough as it is. (Ah yes. The typical phrase of a college student.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

bat_angel.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #25 of 29
In my highly personal opinion, what went wrong with country music was the infusion of West Coast producers and musicians to Nashville during the 80s-90s. Almost everything released since then sounds like watered-down versions of the Eagles (who I love but don't consider country).

In an effort to gain a more youthful market share (in other words, money), the record companies seemed to forget what was called "The Nashville Sound". Producers like Owen Bradley, Chet Atkins, Billy Sherrill, etc., from the 50s-70s along with a select group of musicians (the A-team) created a distinct musical genre and sound that was immediately recognizable.

There was an unsucessful rebellion of sorts a few years ago among some artists to return to a traditional Nashville sound. It didn't quite meet with the tastes of the MTV generation who disliked rap or punk but found refuge in the rockish sounding country played on the radio. The videos on TNN and CMT also helped to make looks and sex appeal of the artists more important than the quality of the songs and unique production techniques.

It's quite possible that the recent popularity of bluegrass and simpler (sometimes all acoustic instruments) arranged country music is filling the void left by "That Nashville Sound" from the past. I'm all for it !!!

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #26 of 29
It's kind of funny... here I sit on Music Row right now... dubbing out a CMT show for audio sweetening as we speak. CMT is now run by MTV networks, so if you see a similarity...

Dec 23, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #27 of 29
Well apart from some of the over produced rubbish that passes for country these days I think its the image that puts a lot of people off. Especially in Europe. For example I went to see the late Townes Van Zandt play in a a small vanue in York several years ago and when I walked in I was the only person there not dressed as a cowboy or cowgirl (bar Townes). I think a lot of people associate Country and Western with this kind of slightly ridiculas behaviour.

Pat

Dec 24, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 29
Country music like any other genre of music has it's quality end of the spectrum, & the rubish end of the spectrum. I can't stand the "pop country" that gets played on the radio, which is what mostly people hear and identify with "country". Garth Brooks, to me is just basically Billy Joel with a cowboy hat. . . . . . I hear people say from time to time, "I like country music as long as it doesn't twang", well I got news for you, if it doesn't twang it ain't country, it least to some degree. . . . . . Anyone who wants to explore, and love some quality counrty music should listen to some recordings by; Dwight Yoakam, Buck Owens, Gram Parsons, Rosie Flores, Casey Chambers, Merle Haggard, even the "cowboy songs" of the Grateful Dead, and the list goes on from there. Some of the 80's LA bands have long had a fascination with the "alt country" sound. Witness, an album by "The Knitters", with input from "X" & "The Blasters". it's a real jewel. All of this music is just as moving as anything out there! . . . . . Do yourself a favor and investigate a sampler CD called, "A Town South of Bakersfield". Here's a link to it

< http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A51jwear04xs7 >

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back