What's with the major shortage of Denons?
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dum656

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a D1001 (or maybe a D2000 if I get lucky with some side business), and I see great prices everywhere for the two on buy.com and other websites with the 1001 for like, 80 and the 2000 for 180. Only thing is, they're sold out EVERYWHERE. On top of that, the few places that have them in stock are double the price with the 1001 for 150 and the 2000 for 350? I mean, what's the deal? Are there not enough headphones, or is Denon only distributing them to a few vendors? (and there aren't any on craiglist and very few on ebay) thanks in advance

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 22
Yep, same problem Im having with the D2000s.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 22
Well FWIR denon is trying to eliminate grey marketing of their headphones so it's going to be harder and harder to find either of those cans under MSRP. Your best bet is to watch the for sale forums here.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 22
My wallets a closer friend to me than Denon is. If they make it tough for me to find the deal Im looking for, Ill take my close friend with me to a company that does =\

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wallets a closer friend to me than Denon is. If they make it tough for me to find the deal Im looking for, Ill take my close friend with me to a company that does =\

There are certainly more options to choose from at MSRP. BTW, is your sig from SG-1? Love that episode.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 22
I am certainly having the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions for closed 'phones in the same price range(~$200-250) with the same type sound signature?

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 22
Hm. You are right. I checked all the cheaper places listed at froogle.com and they are all out of stock til you get up to $300.

Maybe markl bought out the model line for his new store, Home
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muziklover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a pair of these from Crutchfield Canada for $119 Cdn with free shipping. Ordered Thursday received today. Don't know if they ship to the States or internationally

Regards

That is a steal! Nice grab.

edit: Oh noticed you said D1001, not D2000. Still good price, though.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 22
There is no shortage of Denons. You just can't buy cheaper greymarket Denons from unauthorized dealers anymore.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 22
i totally understand.

I have ah-d2000 backordered from crutchfieldcanada.com

supposedly 300$CAD + free shipping

250USD doesnt seem bad though.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are certainly more options to choose from at MSRP. BTW, is your sig from SG-1? Love that episode.

Nah, didnt even know it was in the show XD Just thought it would be a funny quote given the forum
tongue.gif

Well if the grey market is cut off like this, expect a massive decrease in sales that probably wont compensate for the slight increase of sales for the significantly more expensive unit.

As far as other options, that may be true if this was a car or some other commodity item where one has no differentiation (or very little) from another. Because everyone agrees at the different sound of every can at this level of price, its no longer commodity.

This is worse because I was hoping to go LA/Markl with this but cant afford the jump strait away =\ This was a nice way to at least get the ball rolling.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 22
Just checked amazon and BluTronic has the D1001s for $90 and D2000 for $220. Not sure how trustworthy they are though.

Now that I know about this "no graymarket" business, it kinda makes me wish I would have grabbed a pair before when I had a little more spending money.

Jan 20, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just checked amazon and BluTronic has the D1001s for $90 and D2000 for $220. Not sure how trustworthy they are though.

Now that I know about this "no graymarket" business, it kinda makes me wish I would have grabbed a pair before when I had a little more spending money.

Amazon D2000: Amazon.com: Denon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphones: Electronics
Says $319.99

To find Blutronic, you have to use the Amazon "buy used and new from: _____" section. Took me a bit to find. Ill have to wait until this eBay auction ends to see if I win it before I dedicate to these ones on Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back