Whats with omh/impedance on same models
Sep 11, 2008 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

iso

Head-Fier
Why are there models like the beyerdynamic dt 770 with ohms that vary? they have them in these ohms 32,80,250 and 600. Is there a sound quality difference or are they made for different electric sources only?

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 23
You know, I've been wondering the answer to this as well and more broadly with any headphone, why the difference in ohms? Does it make a difference at all in sound quality? Is it because the materials used necessitate a certain impedance, or is it just randomly up to the manufacturer to decide? Anyone know?

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I've been wondering the answer to this as well and more broadly with any headphone, why the difference in ohms? Does it make a difference at all in sound quality? Is it because the materials used necessitate a certain impedance, or is it just randomly up to the manufacturer to decide? Anyone know?

beyer actually makes it a choice on its custom headphones

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 23
And how do they increase the impedance on a single model? Does the driver have more wraps of voice coil (affecting the sound) or is it just a series of resistors , and only for the purposes of matching your headphones to your amp (people working in a studio might already use high-impedance cans).

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how do they increase the impedance on a single model? Does the driver have more wraps of voice coil (affecting the sound) or is it just a series of resistors , and only for the purposes of matching your headphones to your amp (people working in a studio might already use high-impedance cans).

They use thinner voice coil wire, and generally wind a greater length of it than they would with thicker wire.

A lot of studio gear is designed to drive 600 ohm loads, but this isn't about 'matching' per se.

I've grown very very tired of explaining the rest, so, use the search feature.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They use thinner voice coil wire, and generally wind a greater length of it than they would with thicker wire.

A lot of studio gear is designed to drive 600 ohm loads, but this isn't about 'matching' per se.

I've grown very very tired of explaining the rest, so, use the search feature.

Neat, thanks. I will do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 23
They do sound different. For example, the 250 and 600 ohm versions of the DT880 are pretty stark contrasts. Similar sound, but the 600 has more refinement and control. It's really hard to describe the differences, since I didn't have much time with either, and it was a while ago, but you can pretty much immediately tell which is which.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 23
I have the 03 DT880s which are 250 ohm. What if I would add another 350ohm by adding an impedance adapter? Would it be any better?

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 03 DT880s which are 250 ohm. What if I would add another 350ohm by adding an impedance adapter? Would it be any better?

Read ericj's reply

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Yes, I roughly know the difference between impedance on phones. I was wondering since the 600 Beyer is supposed to be better than the 250 one if it would work on the 03 version as well. I was more looking for experiences.. It's hard enough reading those articles..
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I roughly know the difference between impedance on phones. I was wondering since the 600 Beyer is supposed to be better than the 250 one if it would work on the 03 version as well. I was more looking for experiences..

What would work?
Did you read Erikj's reply?

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 23
I know some people use an impedance adapter with their portables. I was thinking of making an impedance adapter so I have my DT880s at 600 Ohm as well and whether it would give me better SQ or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back