What's up with the seemingly bad price/performance ratio of the headroom desktop line
Apr 11, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Having been secretly saving up for a high end headroom amp/dac combo ever since I heard the micro stack, I've been really puzzled recently by the prices of the desktop lines. It seems that headroom has good control over the high and low end amp markets, but what's with the desktop line?

Having heard the micro line, there is no doubt in my mind that the desktop line sounds stellar; however, it seems like there are several headphone amplifier companies that have stepped up to offer better values in this price/performance category. Why does this seem to be the case?

For one, I feel like the downfall of the desktop line from the prospective buyer is largely in part to the external power supply. Living in an area with absolutely horrible power, good, clean power is a necessity for me. At close to or essentially the same pricepoint as the desktop amp are the headamp GS-1 and many of singlepower's offerings, all of which offer great internal power supplies. Buying the external power supply with the desktop amp sets one back 1000 dollars without any additional upgrades. While I'm not qualified to state whether this combination sounds like a 1000 dollar amp, I haven't really heard any glowing reviews on this combination either.

The matter is made even worse with the apparent redundancy of some of the features on the DPS. Six outputs seems slightly overkill, especially when the most I could see one needing is two, and with no internal shots of the DPS in sight, it's hard to see what exactly makes up the power supply itself and whether the design is really worth the 400 dollars it costs.

I'm not trying to bash headroom since they are by far and large my favorite headphone company, but everything else in the headroom line seems properly priced and quite enticing EXCEPT for the desktop line. Are my conclusions at all reasonable or fair? Please tell me that I'm wrong and that the desktop line offers an amazing price/performance ratio =D

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 8
The fundamental points of differentiation are the DAC options, and the fact that the PSU is NOT absolutely necessary, and the Desktop line can offer great sound using the included wall wart at $600. HeadRoom amps also offer IMO the best crossfeed implementation - you can argue that so does the $300 Micro, however the $600 Destkop has serious preamp functionality, much better power supply filtration on the board, potential for DAC integration and a much nicer volume pot that the Micro doesn't have. As much as it's important to compare HeadRoom amps to other manufacturers, one of the fundamental features of all things HeadRoom is crossfeed. In fact, in absolute terms, due to the requirement of an active input buffer for their crossfeed circuit, they have had to sacrifice that last 1% of absolute sound quality (though my ears can't find it!). For me at least, an amp without DAC integration or crossfeed isn't competing with the HeadRoom range.

The GS-1 is a fantastic amp for the money, however to me it's not direct competition as it has a very different sound which I can't say is fundamentally better (it's different, and I find it to be as far on the bright side as HeadRoom amps are on the warm side (which isn't a great deal)). Finally, I think you don't see many impressions on the Desktop with Desktop Module and PSU because people don't see the necessity for the PSU with the Desktop Module, and because there are so many upgrade options further up the line that people tend to be prepared to spend the extra money, not because it doesn't sound good for the money. It may not be the last word in sound quality, but it does have a unique feature set at that price point. Whether it is 'fairly priced' totally depends on whether its particular blend of features and sound quality suits you or not - if you don't like crossfeed and never intend to use it as a preamp, or add a DAC, it's overpriced. But if you do use all of those things, I think it's quite fair.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
The fundamental points of differentiation are the DAC options, and the fact that the PSU is NOT absolutely necessary, and the Desktop line can offer great sound using the included wall wart at $600. HeadRoom amps also offer IMO the best crossfeed implementation - you can argue that so does the $300 Micro, however the $600 Destkop has serious preamp functionality, much better power supply filtration on the board, potential for DAC integration and a much nicer volume pot that the Micro doesn't have. As much as it's important to compare HeadRoom amps to other manufacturers, one of the fundamental features of all things HeadRoom is crossfeed. In fact, in absolute terms, due to the requirement of an active input buffer for their crossfeed circuit, they have had to sacrifice that last 1% of absolute sound quality (though my ears can't find it!). For me at least, an amp without DAC integration or crossfeed isn't competing with the HeadRoom range.

The GS-1 is a fantastic amp for the money, however to me it's not direct competition as it has a very different sound which I can't say is fundamentally better (it's different, and I find it to be as far on the bright side as HeadRoom amps are on the warm side (which isn't a great deal)). Finally, I think you don't see many impressions on the Desktop with Desktop Module and PSU because people don't see the necessity for the PSU with the Desktop Module, and because there are so many upgrade options further up the line that people tend to be prepared to spend the extra money, not because it doesn't sound good for the money. It may not be the last word in sound quality, but it does have a unique feature set at that price point. Whether it is 'fairly priced' totally depends on whether its particular blend of features and sound quality suits you or not - if you don't like crossfeed and never intend to use it as a preamp, or add a DAC, it's overpriced. But if you do use all of those things, I think it's quite fair.

I really do enjoy the crossfeed, which is one of the biggest reasons why Headroom's line draws me. I just wish that the home modules did not require the desktop power supply, or that the power supply was a little cheaper.

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 8
The Home modules do NOT require the PSU, even with the DAC board.

And the PSU has all the outputs it does because of fairly long range plans to expand the desktop line with all sorts of other goodies that will all be powered by the 1 PSU. Though, I wouldn't object to a 1 outlet cut price PSU.

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Reducing the number of connectors on the back wouldn't really reduce the price. We might be able to lower the price by about $10 if there were only one output.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

...Whether it is 'fairly priced' totally depends on whether its particular blend of features and sound quality suits you or not - if you don't like crossfeed and never intend to use it as a preamp, or add a DAC, it's overpriced. But if you do use all of those things, I think it's quite fair.

I just had a look here and, if the page is up to date, there's a damn good buy to be had for the last of the '04 Max amps.

For someone not needing the DAC capability of the current line - and who can live with a single input (it's the loop-out version), this $999 amp is in the same class of sound quality as the Desktop + DPS + Home module ($1200) or the unbalanced Home ($1899).

I paid $1150 for my MOH with Reference module a year ago and it's been worth every penny. The Max gives you better transformers and component matching and is darn good value for $1K.

Heck, it's the last of the original Max line with that unique faceplate. Maybe Tyll will paint it blue and sign it for the lucky buyer...
580smile.gif

Beau

Edit: The amp has been sold. I'm waiting for my commission from HeadRoom...
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
I just had a look here and, if the page is up to date, there's a damn good buy to be had for the last of the '04 Max amps.

For someone not needing the DAC capability of the current line - and who can live with a single input (it's the loop-out version), this $999 amp is in the same class of sound quality as the Desktop + DPS + Home module ($1200) or the unbalanced Home ($1899).

I paid $1150 for my MOH with Reference module a year ago and it's been worth every penny. The Max gives you better transformers and component matching and is darn good value for $1K.

Heck, it's the last of the original Max line with that unique faceplate. Maybe Tyll will paint it blue and sign it for the lucky buyer...
580smile.gif

Beau

It's closer to a current Home than the Desktop you described. Dual mono design. But, the module in it isn't quite as close to the current Home Module as you might think...

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

It's closer to a current Home than the Desktop you described. Dual mono design. But, the module in it isn't quite as close to the current Home Module as you might think...

Picked up Stereophile today for the Desktop review - and noticed that Phillips described the DPS as "a 15V dual-mono outboard regulated power supply". I don't see any mention of such a thing on the HeadRoom site - and it seems that HeadRoom needs to split the module for use in their models with internal dual mono power supplies. So... a mistake in the article, I assume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back