what's up with my amp?
Jul 14, 2003 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

guttorm

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I've noticed that when using my cmoy, unless the mini plug is situated just right in the line in, the sound cuts most of the way out and sounds tinny. this is a recent development, likely having to do with the fact that I've been using it in my backpack which gets tossed around quite a bit.

I'm wondering if you people in the know think it's a problem with my cmoy or my mini-mini ($6 from circuit city)? In any case, I think I should upgrade my mini-mini, so any recommendations on good sources for them online?

Thanks,
Simon

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 6
It sounds like the solder finally weakened from all the jostling around in your pack. Where you using a 90* tip on the amp side of your cable?
The plug-in receiver is usually the first thing to go with portable abuse. I would think it can be repaired easy enough,providing of course that is the problem. Good luck

Jul 15, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 6
no, it was a straight plug. i took the cable back and ordered headroom's plastic one m-m. If that doesn't take care of it, i guess i can break out the soldering iron or send it to tigger if i'm not feeling brave enough to do it myself. thanks for responding.
simon

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by inthused
The plug-in receiver is usually the first thing to go with portable abuse. I would think it can be repaired easy enough,providing of course that is the problem. Good luck

True that. My Total Airhead comes to mind...
rolleyes.gif
Hmmm... this thread will serve as a reminder to open it up and check it out.

I usually have to set my NJB3 on top of the right angle plug so that the plug aims upwards. I will say, you hear some really eerie artifacts in that tinny mess... check out Beach Boys songs with it.

Damn, I just went to AllMusic to try and remember which Beach Boys song sounded almost hallucinogenic with the artifacts... I got caught up on reading reviews, closed the window, and saw my post in progress... Well, I'm going back to sleep. Maybe I'll figure it out later. Ahhh, I suppose that's the power of music.

Jul 16, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
thankfully it was the cable. what a difference a quality mini-mini makes! I thought all of the ambient hiss i was hearing before was either due to my source or the cmoy... now there's virtually none.

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but something could still be wrong with your plug. It may be that the better cable is just connecting better. It(your amp) can still fail in the future
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back