What's to do in California...?
Jun 30, 2006 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Tasty

Head-Fier
Hey fellas... I'll be taking a trip down to California in 2 days, and me being the greenhorn asian I am, was wondering if you folks had any suggestions as to where would be good places to go. ^^

I'll actually be primarily in San Francisco and LA (and perhaps Anaheim) on a little free and easy for just over a week, so any and all suggestions as to interesting haunts and particularly where I could find awesome food will be most appreciated! It'd also be great if anyone could point me to a good headphone depot where I could possibly audition and compare cans from the big names (senns, akg, beyers, AT, sonys, by any chance?)
580smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 25
In San Francisco:

You can try all the Grado's expect the GS1000 (unless the stores now have them) at San Francisco Stereo on Market and 15th.

Senns can be tried at Audio Visions on Van Ness.

For food: Swan Oyster on Polk street is great and fun. Old time seafood restarant with bar stool seating and always a line out the door. Go to Pier 1 on the weekend and check out the farmers market in the back and other shops inside. Any small restarants in the neighborhoods usually have excellent food: Along Polk St. in Russian Hill, Mission and Valencia St. in the Mission, and so on.

For music: Amoeba records on Haight and Steiner

I think that's a good start.

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 25
Jun 30, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 25
While in Anaheim, you should visit Down Town Disney, it's free to enter and a great place to relax. Ooh and of course go to Disneyland!

Visit an Anaheim Angels game (baseball)

Visit The Hollywood Bowl in LA where you get to listen to pretty good classica/jazz music out doors.

Visit the Disney Concert Hall in LA it's really a great place to go to if you love music.

Visit the Getty Museum in LA

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 25
San Francisco:
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Haight & Ashbury district (hippy area)
- Pier 39 and the wharf
pier 39
pier 39 restaurants
- Ride the cable car cable car info
- Visit Lombard Street (the world's crookedest street)
- Visit the city of Sausalito (it's just above the golden gate bridge and has amazing views of the bay, alcatraz etc, you could get there by ferry on the Pier 39 wharf)
- Visit Alcatraz (one of the famous prisoners of that jail was, al capone) alcatraz
- People watch is actually interesting in this city
- Fillmore the fillmore (for concerts and stuff)
- chinatown
china town
- japantown (it's small, some people don't even know it exist) japan town
- Amoeba or Rasputin for music is a MUST! they have lot's of stuff to pick from
amoeba & rasputin

Los Angeles:

- J.Paul Getty Musuem
j. paul getty
- Check out all the beaches, most are close by, hermosa, manhattan, redondo, venice, santa monica etc
- Visit the garment district (located in downtown l.a. lot of shopping done outside)
- if you're heading toward the santa monica way, there is a three story mall where you can go shopping and they also got little shops outside too
- Fox hills is a big one (so i've heard, for shopping)
- Check out a wnba game maybe
- sunset blvd. & rodeo drive
- maybe visit universal studios (i think it's pretty close by to the getty museum)
- Mann's Chinese Theater
- Hollywood walk of fame, also you can check out the "map to the stars" things, people sell maps and you can visit celebs homes or at least see where they live (outside of the grounds that is lol)
- drive around beverly hills, maybe
- House of Blues
- China Islamic (China Islamic Restaurant 7727 East Garvey Avenue, Rosemead, CA 91770, i personally LOVED the food, may be a bit outta the way tho)
- the wax muesum wax museum
- knott's berry farm knotts

Anaheim:
- disneyland

edit: yeah and try roscoe's too, they have one in l.a. and up in the bay area in oakland i think (i'm not sure if the one in oakland is still there tho)

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 25
Head to the beach and drive north through Malibu. When you hit the BIG rock (you'll see it) turn around and come home. heavenly.

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n Waffles. You ain't livin' 'til you've had fried chicken covered with gravy with a side of buttery waffles.....

Canter's on Fairfax. You MUST have one of their black and white cookies......(I think their chopped liver is the best this side of New York, but that's my personal taste....)

Their chopped liver is delicious! I lived right around the corner and used to treat myself to a container far too often. Funny that you and I both lived in LA and now are in TX, you sugarland and myself in Katy. However, I'm now looking at a move back to LA!

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #11 of 25
Wow... I leave this overnight and there's already a healthy response when I'm back.. awesome
basshead.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions! The links and advice is certainly priceless. I'll definitely be referring to this thread when I'm planning my itenary in a day or two.. heheheh.

I've just taken the opportunity to expand my headphone collection by placing an order for the ER4Ps with earphonesolutions and shipping it to my brother who's in Michigan and will be flying down to say hi... ahhh the excitement of travel
icon10.gif

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 25
One of my favorite places in California is the Santa Monica beach. And also Catalina Island. You can rent a bicycle and ride along the Santa Monica/ Venice beach. It’s especially fun if you’re from a winter climate and visit during winter because of the mild sunny T shirt weather.

Don’t be afraid to visit California. I love it. Do you like sushi and tacos? Yummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back