What's the World Searching For?
Nov 28, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 17
Apparently they decided to refrain from publishing the words that most of us (not me of course
biggrin.gif
) search for with Google.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Hmm, interesting thing. The most popular word that pops up in search terms is "de," infront of the english "of."

What's the reason for this? It's evident by that page that english google users FAR outnumber other countries. . .

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Hmm, interesting thing. The most popular word that pops up in search terms is "de," infront of the english "of."

What's the reason for this? It's evident by that page that english google users FAR outnumber other countries. . .

"de" is a word in many languages (Spanish, French, Portugeese, etc.) But it does still look like there are more English users than all other languages combined. Well, when you search Google with the word "of"(or "de", for that matter) it actually says that it's not included in your search because it's so common. Perhaps more English users have figgured this out and just no longer use the word "of" in their searches.

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 17
I realize it is a word in many languages(I take french), but I'm surprised that there are enough internet users that use google enough to put it up there. . . ah well, your explanation seems pretty good!

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 17
I'm guessing that the de is just a byproduct of our public school system!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Has nutin ta do wit forin languijes!!!

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 17
Je parle français aussi. Par chance c'est parce que "de" est employé plus que "to." Par example : Si on veut dire "salad" en français on dit "de la salade" mais en anglais on dit simplement "salad"; on ne dit pas "of salad." L'article est necessaire en français.

For those who don't speak French: I'm saying that in French you need to use an article (often "de") in cases in which you don't need an article in English.

Nov 29, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 17
Ok, top German searches, "Tag der Deutschen Einheit." Ahh yes, the day that Germany was reunited after the breakdown of Cold War Europe. Hmmm, Canada, "hockey" well that goes without saying though they have an unusual high searches for sniper (and my Canuck friends rail us Americans about our firearms obsession). And then we come to France where "tin tin" and "bob marley" are obviosly some of the focal points of the French people.... France has now moved to the number two slot of the "Most F#$%ed Up Countries" list and now is in a heated competition with Japan for number one. Though I can't say it brings volumes of pride to me that one of the highest queries was for "celebrity big brother."

Nov 29, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Born2bwire
And then we come to France where "tin tin" and "bob marley" are obviosly some of the focal points of the French people

You forget Jerry Lewis and Jim Carrey. And I love Tin Tin, great comic book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back