What's the weirdest music you've ever heard?
Aug 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 103
I'm into some pretty weird music, recently I've been listening to Blut Aus Nord, a seriously disturbing black metal band. They disregard anything to do with melody or theory for that matter.

Neurosis, Deathspell Omega and Strapping Young Lad are some of my favourite bands, they can get very 'out there'.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #32 of 103

Ya...you guessed it........these two were in love at the time of the filming.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #35 of 103
Quote:
Weirdest stuff I actually enjoy is either Comus' First Utterance or some of Zappa's weirder releases.

First Utterance by Comus is one of my favorite records. I don't think it is weird actually. Music is never weird to me. Some people just play music differently. There is never a right or wrong way to play music to me.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #37 of 103
Quote:

First Utterance by Comus is one of my favorite records. I don't think it is weird actually. Music is never weird to me. Some people just play music differently. There is never a right or wrong way to play music to me.

Sure. But I don't think anyone who's posted in this thread intended to deride or ostracize the music pointed to. "Weird" here isn't meant as "wrong", but adventurous and playful. Transgressive perhaps. I certainly didn't imply there was anything wrong with Van Dyke Parks ! Rather that he made music not content to obey expectations or genre. Or that "beauty" isn't quite the end-game some think it is. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #39 of 103
Top this!

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 103
I'm surprised these guys haven't been mentioned here yet:

"No posts found for "Dread Zeppelin""

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #42 of 103
I'd also like to throw in the ring any of John Zorn's sports albums.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #45 of 103
Haha the band sun O))) is after one thing and one thing only: to find the "brown note". They have postulated that there is a note of low enough frequency sound that it can actually make people poop their pants...this is called the "Brown note"...its science not insanity lol (note....its not really science) 

Its been tested and busted on mythbusters, but I have questioned on their forum about their testing techniques. I don't believe that there is a single frequency that holds the so called brown note, but a possibility of a number of frequencies that correspond to an individual's body and in particular the digestive tract's resonant frequency. I think hitting that frequency with an insane amount of spl will hold the key. The problem with their testing is they hit 150 db or so above the tuning frequency of PA subwoofers in an open parking lot and below the tuning (port plugs in) they only did about 107 db at 7 or 8 hz. This sounds like a lot but at that frequency it really isn't. Most diy subwoofer builders can hit that in their rooms at home. If they were able to do 150 or 160 at 7 or 8 hz (not an easy task at all) then if it is possible it may happen. Lot of factors involved.

As far as weird music, check out some gg allin. Music isn't terribly weird but he has some just straight odd lyrics. He was probably certifiably insane with his onstage antics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back