What's the use of "HQ-DIY-interconnects"?
Aug 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

non-entity

Head-Fier
Hey there!

First of all: sorry if there was this question before, I checked for similar threads but I couldn't find anything. So, given time I stumbled upon several tutorials and step by step guides to build these thick isolated, short, special-looking interconnects that one can see by browsing through the "show your rack"-threads. At first I thought "damn, looks pretty cool and I guess there's a use for them" so I wanted to build one myself, but after a little time I started to wonder what's the use of these things.

I'm quite new to this hobby but I think there are some things I know. For example, A LOT of stuff is more or less wallet-burdening placebo-crap. Power conditioners, bi-wiring, gold discs or SHM-discs (assuming they're NOT remastered, which is not always the case) to name a few of these things. I can only reflect what I read and hear because I'm no engineer or scientist and that's why I ask you guys:

What's the use of these interconnects? Do people make them just for fun or is there actually something behind this? Right now I use a cheap cable that I shortened to use it, and another one that's unfortunately too long for daily use which I bought some time ago. I can hear no difference between them, but I have to admit that there's no abx text behind this statement. When I think about the actual recording of music I can see cable reels, cheap interconnects and other "sins" so I'm kind of prejudiced when I see these interconnects. On top of that I think about amps in plastic-closures and to me this does not appear like the best way to keep the signal good. I know a little bit about shielding but I have no idea if there's some "weak part" in the chain or something. Could it be that the signal is more vulnerable outside of devices?

Sorry for the long text, but I really want to know more about this. Any information is appreciated and thanks in advance!
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Expensive cables greatly lengthen your penis (unless they're silver, which works more with girth).

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expensive cables greatly lengthen your penis (unless they're silver, which works more with girth).

Hrm... I do have to say, I don't have a high end cable, but my mogami interconnect actually does make a difference between the several dirt cheap interconnects I have, and I was really really surprised....

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 15
The High End interconnects will color the sound depending on the type of metal used. Gold is soft and lush and has a wide sound stage. Rhodium has a tall sound stage and is very detailed. Made 2 sets of cables with rhodium ends. Have 2 more sets waiting to be cabled.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 15
That is ridiculous. Absolutely and completely (lest I forget utterly) and appallingly ridiculous. Did I mention preposterous? Rubbish....pure rubbish.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 15
Fp-106%20B1.jpg

I have bought 4 sets of these and demo'd the gold. Liked the Rhodium better with my Darkvoice 336SE and Arcam 73. Used 16 AWG silver plated copper with them. OK fnzeee, what is your concern? Have brought the cables and connectors to the last Seattle mini-meet.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 15
If you like cables and are a "believer" then you'll get more for your money with DIY (although only from a certain price point on because BJC delivers a lot for the money). It's the best route if you want silver cables, Jena, Vampire, Furutech terminations (standard, or rhodium, or whatever metal you want) etc. without paying for some company's huge profit margins (cables can have some really horrifyingly huge profit margins).

Some of your comments seem kindof "sound sciencey" to which I will say - of course there is no scientific reason for fancy cables to sound better than well designed cables (a la BJC) as RMAA / DBT also suggest. For that matter, (assuming they're solid state) source and in many cases amplifier make no difference according to objectivists. However, if you think they make a difference, go ahead and buy away.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 15
To me it is not science. It is more trial and error with the money you spend finding out what works with your gear. That it is why it is a hobby to me.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 15
If you're doing cables try OCC materials (mono crystal). They have a serious impact on sound. Headphone cables are the most audible to me.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not likely. Audio stuff generally don't provide such health benefits.

If this kind of "personal improvment" is what you are seeking, you might want to look into things like over-clocked CPU, extra memory banks and ultra fast networking system.

Aug 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 15
Hey Kevin,
You still tune your rig with different IC's?

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Personally I think making IC's out of decent wire such as the mogami star quad is worth it simply for durability. Even if you're not going to use it for the sound. Now about the silver braids etc.... no idea.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone cables are the most audible to me.

Totally agree, I have found quite significant differences between headphone cables. I've never heard a difference between interconnects,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back