What's the story with all th "IC" (interest checks) in the forsale forum?
Mar 20, 2006 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aaroncort

Banned
Why do people put something up for sale and not give an asking price? Does anybody else find this obnoxious? Its not like they're selling the Mona Lisa, its just a pair of headphones or even a cable for christ's sake. How about this if you want to sell something instead of putting up an interest check, how about you just state the price you think is fair and if anybody doesn't want well then there's your interest check.

Don't even get me started about " up for sale is a pair of RS-1's I'm asking $OLD for them shipped pluss 3% pay pal fee". There's a whole other thread in that one.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 18
i think ICs are fine if they really don't know if they want to sell/trade something, so they don't want to make anyone salty by pulling out after getting offers. and as mentioned above, it could also be a testing the waters thing to see where the market is on something, no harm in that.

what i don't like are ICs being used to hold secret auctions.

Hi, would you be interested in 100 bucks for that can?

"ok let me think about it"

"someone offered me $110, but you offered first, so i told him he had to wait to see if you'd do better"

like what, $125?

"sounds great but let me get back to this other guy, and someone else just PM'd me hold on..."

and so on and so on. BAH. how do i even know if there ARE any other guys? those kind of ICs are shady imho.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 18
Wasn't there a thread on the exact same topic a few weeks ago?

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 18
You're supposed to end up PMing the person anyways. Even with a regular "FS" they aren't obligated to sell, and more often than you think will still drop or pull out of a sale.

And yup, there are threads about ICs and pulling prices.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 18
There is no rule against it, so it is basically an auction. People want to sell things at the highest price, so they see if someone will offer a huge amount of money.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i think ICs are fine if they really don't know if they want to sell/trade something, so they don't want to make anyone salty by pulling out after getting offers. and as mentioned above, it could also be a testing the waters thing to see where the market is on something, no harm in that.

"someone offered me $110, but you offered first, so i told him he had to wait to see if you'd do better"

like what, $125?

"sounds great but let me get back to this other guy, and someone else just PM'd me hold on..."

and so on and so on. BAH. how do i even know if there ARE any other guys? those kind of ICs are shady imho.

LOL.That is really funny.

Personally i think the rash of IC's lately came from guys with HF-1's holding their "secret auctions"? which prompted others to do the same.I have nothing against IC's but i prefer a seller putting a number down on the table right then.

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 18
I only used a IC once I think and it was because I really wasn't sure if selling my lappy was a good move or if the selling price coudl justify it. Also there were no others of the same type for sale on the forum, I looked. Plus laptops can vary so much in price and go down a lot even just after a few months. Other than that instance though I am totally against interest checks. If you want to know what they sell for use the search button. I think we would have less interest checks if people stopped removing prices too(I also hate that). IF you really have a product that is a big decision to sell and there arn't other threads when you can see the price in then I guess maybe you have some minute justification for a IC. I just hate the ones that are like IC: PX100 or IC:Hornet(just examples). These are sold and bought so often that its easy to find out selling prices. Obviously there is interest in these too. Its not like selling a one of a kind vintage headphone where no one might be interested at all.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 18
I think I might be the only sucker in the world who generally says "deal" when he hears a price that he thinks is fair. I don't say "Okay, your offers 100, you can have it for 110". I say "100 sounds fair, it's a deal." Oh well, maybe i'm the only guy who isn't trying to do some stupid auctioning and back and forth crap.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

like what, $125?

This is what I think is going on with about 90% of the IC's out there. I understand if you don't know what the value is on your item. But just in the week even there were 2 IC's for different RS-1's and a pair for sale with a stated price. These people were obviously trying to get a few more dollars out of it. If I did that I would feel like such a royal jackass that an extra $50 would not even begin to cover the damage I would have done to my soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back