Whats the "proper" way to wear MDR-EX51's?
Jun 16, 2005 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

codf4ther

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-EX51's this weekend after reading several reviews on the site. I'm happy for the most part, once I get a good seal the sound is great (I like lots of bass). I have two questions:

1. A lot of people call these the most comfortable buds they've ever worn, but I find that after an hour or so I start to get a ear-ache. This is my first set of canal phones, is there an adjustment period before my ears get a feel for the phones (how long)?

2. As I said, once I get a good "seal" the sound is great. The only way I've managed to do this though, is to wear the medium covers and have the stems (where the wires attach) pointing up or towards the back of my head. This isn't a huge deal, but it does look kind of odd. If I wear them with the stems pointing down, I can't get them in far enough for a good seal. Is anyone else having that kind of issue?

Thanks in advance,
Rod

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 3
I own the EX71 myself, almost the same thing

I was wearing them today, and I could absolutely NOT feel them. Bono's voice was getting sent into my mind via a neural system, or something! (J/K)

They take a while to adjust, about two, three days, then you'll love them, at least, comfort-wise.

I use the small ones myself, and unfortunatly can't experiment with the med's 'cause I lost them...(If you're a dutch person who lives in Almere, please contact meh. I want to BUY the mediums from you)

I dont have the problem you describe, though I find the seal to be even better when I perform the same trick as you. Maybe your EX51's dont have the flexibility my EX71's have, because I can bend them any way I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back