What's the proper way to store headphones (over-ear)?
Jan 3, 2016 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

privateKIMI

New Head-Fier
So it's been two months since I own the ATH-MSR7LTD :)) love it btw) and have done general maintenance such as wiping the headband, pads etc. Since then i've been storing it in my hard cover case which I included a pair of silica gel packet for unknown reasons (my heart told me to do so). And a few days ago, I found an article (not that i read it) with a headline implying that low-humidity air can and will cause static charge to build up one electrical equiptment. Fear of my headphone getting damaged by so I'm asking the great headphone enthusiast from up above to confirm my misunderstanding.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 7
I have 3 pairs of headphones that I store differently.

I keep my Sennheiser HD598s and my AE 51st Studios on command hooks. They hang on the wall under one of my guitars.

My Sennheiser momentums (on-ear) stay in a bag inside of my messenger bag.

I wouldn't worry about using silica packets or anything like that. Just store them however is easier for you. My dad had a pair of Pioneer headphones from the 70s and after I was born he stuck them in a box in the basement. 20 years later, they were still in fine condition and worked great. He even still uses them (I think). So don't go too overboard, I'm sure your hard case for them is more than enough.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 7
I keep my LCD-2's on my desk, connected to my amp. I have a couple of pairs hanging on stands etc from my CD-shelf. None of the are kept in cases, but my in-ears. Don't worry, they'll be just fine where ever indoors - unless they are physically getting damaged.

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Headphones need a safe and secure place to stay while not being used. They must be coddled in a way less they fell unwanted and become emotionally distressed. A case that is not too big, one that is cozy, with a nice warmth and protection from all elements is what is needed.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/227310739/woodwarmth-headphone-stand-xxiv?ref=shop_home_active_20

Only $225

But seriously a nice stand that spreads the load evenly is a great way to go. I see too many stands that create just a single small pressure point in the middle of the headband. With headphones that have a heavy custom cable and not the best connectors on the cup(HiFiman I'm looking at your 2.5s) just make sure the to try and keep the weight off the connectors so they don't wear out and either drop out of the headphone completely or result in intermittent sound in one or both channels. For long term storage a nice box. As far as temp and humidity anything in a remotely controlled area is fine, maybe if you were storing them in a shed in Florida it would not be good, but when they are not in use the thing I would be most worried about temp and humidity causing problems with are the padded parts of the headphones and even in that case I doubt there will be a problem and most of the time they are by far the easiest things to replace.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 7
This is a very nice headphone clamp/stand to use on a shelf. It came with my HD595's (which are long gone btw).Very even pressure on the headband... I hope Sennheiser would sell this as a stand-alone product.

But, with many light weight cans a couple of pens under a few CD's work nicely as place to hang a pair of cans. That's what I do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back