What's the point of the foam on the back of the DT531s?
Dec 29, 2004 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I was removing hair from my DT531s earlier today (driver buzzing) and it for some reason never occurred to me until now that the DT531s have foam on the back of the earcup. Being the curious person that I am, I take them out and have a listen.

I really don't hear all that much of a difference, aside from the DT531s sounding a bit more 'open' perhaps, and a little added clarity. Without another DT531 to compare it with I can't exactly say for sure. But really, what's the deal? Is it to provide some miniscule amount of isolation?

Dec 29, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Probably to keep the dust out, and perhaps to provide some acoustic damping. But I doubt it's necessary; if it sounds better to you without, then by all means keep it off.

Dec 29, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Probably to keep the dust out, and perhaps to provide some acoustic damping. But I doubt it's necessary; if it sounds better to you without, then by all means keep it off.

It's probably just placebo. I'll keep the foam off for a while though...

Dec 30, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 10
I had initially thought that removing the foam would cause the sound to change but after removing it, I had noticed no change in the sound. But like you, I couldn't really tell without another pair to A/B. The only thing that I did notice was that the tips of my ears were no longer irritated by being pressed against the foam. At one point before I sold my DT531's, I was planning on removing the foam and replacing it with stocking for more comfort.

Dec 30, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Fureshi, I think we're not talking about the same thing. You're referring to the foam between the driver and the ear. I'm talking about the foam covering the grill on the outside of the earcup. Needless to say I'm surprised that removing the other foam caused no change in sound, in addition to being more comfortable. (I'd think it to be the other way around!)

Dec 30, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Fureshi, I think we're not talking about the same thing. You're referring to the foam between the driver and the ear. I'm talking about the foam covering the grill on the outside of the earcup. Needless to say I'm surprised that removing the other foam caused no change in sound, in addition to being more comfortable. (I'd think it to be the other way around!)

you're right. i guess i didn't read the title closely enough.
rolleyes.gif
i had also expected some changes to the sound but didn't notice anything at all. the foam is a somewhat rough material and maybe my ears stick out too much so they'd contact the foam and after time, become irritated.

Dec 30, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Hey, doesn't lini have like, 3 pairs of DT531s?

confused.gif
... and ??

Whatever you have in mind I believe the answer would be 'no'.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Oh, come on, it's not like removing/inserting the foam is a real chore...
biggrin.gif

yeah besides, if you somehow damage one while playing with the foam, you still have two left!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back