What's the one song that really made you appreciate your headphones?
Nov 3, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #91 of 180
Two different pieces of music really make me appreciate my Atrios, but in different ways.

The fantastic bass extension really shines in Chris Squires bass work in Long Distance Runaround by Yes. You can feel it, not just hear it, which is pretty impressive for IEMs.

On the mid/highs detail side, the entire album The David Grisman Quintet is a real test for speakers, phones, or IEMs. This album (an interesting fusion of instrumental bluegrass and jazz, with fantastic virtuoso performances) was one of the albums used by stereo shops to show off their equipment back when I was in college. The guitar and mandolin picks, the attack on the bass, and the sweet violin, are all magic.

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #92 of 180
Yes - Fragile.

Such a great disk with so much variety and such great production. Trully a great test for headphones.

Sorry I can't just pick one song heh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #93 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two different pieces of music really make me appreciate my Atrios, but in different ways.

The fantastic bass extension really shines in Chris Squires bass work in Long Distance Runaround by Yes. You can feel it, not just hear it, which is pretty impressive for IEMs.

On the mid/highs detail side, the entire album The David Grisman Quintet is a real test for speakers, phones, or IEMs. This album (an interesting fusion of instrumental bluegrass and jazz, with fantastic virtuoso performances) was one of the albums used by stereo shops to show off their equipment back when I was in college. The guitar and mandolin picks, the attack on the bass, and the sweet violin, are all magic.

Which Grisman Quintet CD? There are four listed on Yahoo Music, the oldest dated 1993.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #95 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Grisman Quintet CD? There are four listed on Yahoo Music, the oldest dated 1993.

The disk that's just titled "The David Grisman Quintet". I think it was the first one he did with this particular cast of characters. The cover artwork has a tan frame and a photo of the instruments in the middle, and it's the one from 1993.

Nov 4, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #97 of 180
A different spin on this topic; my first ipod (4GB mini) with ipod earbuds (
eek.gif
) first fired up Steely Dan's Hey Nineteen. I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than my walkman; my previous portable audio solution.

That started a lifelong journey into high end audio, and Headfi. Thank you apple
600smile.gif

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #99 of 180
What an awesome thread! I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Final Cut right now. Nice holophonic effects. Thanks for helping me get unplugged and plugged in right (5.1 --> px100's).

This is all so new for me, so I can't say there's any one song, but this album sounds great. I was surprised to read that Roger Waters and David Gilmour don't care for this album much. Too much badness in it's making I guess.

Anyway--thanks for sharing! What a great way to get exposed to new music.
-----------------------------------------------
If you want to hear a great guitar player, check out Phil Keaggy. Check out a Youtube video of Phil here.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #102 of 180
Anything from Sarah Brightman, especially her latest album "Harem".

You can hear wonderful music from extreme high to extreme low frequencies.

I am using my Ultrasone Proline 750. It's a superb headphone.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #103 of 180
Digitonal - Maris Stella
Murcof - Oort
Kettel - Pinch of Peer
Shpongle - ...And The Day Turned To Night
Robert Rich - Shadowline
Steve Roach & Jeffrey Fayman - Year of the Horse

It's all about the details.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #104 of 180
Can't pick just one, but these all are great to me:

Little Girl Blue - Diana Krall