What's the one song that really made you appreciate your headphones?
Jan 6, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #136 of 180
It used to be "I.G.Y." Donald Fagen from "The Nightfly" and also "Hundrum" from Peter Gabriel "Plays Live"..but after I heard "Morpheus" from "Mythologies" Patricia Barber..I've changed my mind..try to listen to it..probably will change your mind too..

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #138 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by edgar67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an awesome thread! I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Final Cut right now. Nice holophonic effects. Thanks for helping me get unplugged and plugged in right (5.1 --> px100's).

This is all so new for me, so I can't say there's any one song, but this album sounds great. I was surprised to read that Roger Waters and David Gilmour don't care for this album much. Too much badness in it's making I guess.

Anyway--thanks for sharing! What a great way to get exposed to new music.
-----------------------------------------------
If you want to hear a great guitar player, check out Phil Keaggy. Check out a Youtube video of Phil here.

The Final Cut is by far my least favorite Pink Floyd album. First of all it's barely even a Pink Floyd album, more like a Waters solo album. Which is probably the reason Gilmour doesn't like it one bit. In my humble opinion it simply doesn't do well in comparison to their other amazing albums.

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #140 of 180
'Stormy Monday' by Cream off their reunion DVD.

Incredible!

Simply incredible sound and musicianship. Clapton's skill has worn exceptionally well over the years. One of the few early icons who can still do it.

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #141 of 180
genius to fall asleep to your tape last night
sounds go through the muscles
these abstract wordless movements
they start off cells that haven't been touched
before

these cells are virgins

my headphones
they saved my life
your tape
it lulled me to sleep

nothing will be the same

i'm fast asleep

i like this resonance
it elevates me
i don't recognize myself
this is very interesting

my headphones
they saved my life
your tape
it lulled me to sleep

i'm fast asleep now

i'm fast asleep

my headphones
they saved my life
your tape
it lulled me to sleep

Lyrics Bjork, Headphones, from the album Post

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #142 of 180
Nevermore - The Seven Tongues of God
Primus - John the Fisherman
Orbital - the entire Middle of Nowhere cd
James Taylor - Something in the Way She Moves
David Bowie - Life on Mars

In my mp3 collection I always generally go back to those at least 2 times a day and just close my eyes and veg out.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #143 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Stormy Monday' by Cream off their reunion DVD.

Incredible!

Simply incredible sound and musicianship. Clapton's skill has worn exceptionally well over the years. One of the few early icons who can still do it.

Yeah there's not really many who actually sound better now than during the 60's/70's. However I'd say David Gilmour is even more amazing in that way, a good proof of this is "David Gilmour - Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall", both vocally and when it comes to guitar playing he sounds better than ever. Simply amazing ^_^

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #144 of 180
at the risk of seeming fuddy-duddy, I have to add my testimonial here for the Strauss Four Last Songs, which are amazing (in several recordings I usually carry on my iMod) on IEMs. made me stick to my IEMs when I was a bit tired of them.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #145 of 180
Private Investigations - Dire Straits
Telegraph Road - Dire straits
No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley live off the Legend album
Beethovens 9th - Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic

these are a few of them.

cheers
Simon

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #146 of 180
Funny thing happened just a bit ago. I'm sitting here doing some reading and such and i've been listening to this giant mix of music. (Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 500 songs of all time to be exact in reverse order). Mind you, some of the stuff on the list, i'm not too keen on. I can appreciate them, but a lot of it isn't my cup of tea. Then the wierdest thing happened. A song came on that I generally abhor on principle alone, and it made me stop what i was doing and just listen. Then when it ended I started it again and just sat back with my eyes closed and listened again. That song really, and truly made me appreciate my system. The song was: We've Only Just Begun by The Carpenters.

Crazy man...

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #147 of 180
anything from Keith Jarrett as long as it's live
any Mahler symphony
Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew"--any track, any CD

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #148 of 180
Katie Melua's "Nine Million Bicycles"

I heard this song on vinyl, DVD-A and CD on my girlfriend's dad's $60000 stereo, and I can safely say that my humble Denon C700 and iPod shuffle 1G is at least 70% of that sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back