What's the next step?
Feb 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kcdecker

Head-Fier
Gentlemen (and ladies),

I'd like something new and exciting.  What will my next step be?  Need help on that part.

I started this money-draining hobby back as a broke college student with the Alessandro MS-1.  They're still very close to my favorites, and definitely my go-to headphones for portable listening.  After that was a pair of Sennheiser HD555.  Very smooth headphones, but lacking the punch I loved from the MS-1.  Then I was lucky enough to find a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s for $40 on Ebay.  Fun headphones, but I still found myself listening to the MS-1s more and more.  I tried the Q701s too.  Love the clarity the provide, and they're my go-to headphones when I want to listen to a very analytical headphone.  And finally, I sold my HD555s to justify the purchase of the Mad Dog 3.2.  Best choice I've ever made.

My library consists of all genres (sometimes regrettably)...and amp-wise, depending on where I happen to be, I'm listening to a Fiio E10, the Schiit Vali, or the 1/4" jack of my old Kenwood receiver.

So to summarize, I like my Q701s and REALLY like my MS-1s and the Mad Dog 3.2.  But why stop there?  What would be the next step?  I've always wanted to try the MS-2, but I've also been tempted by the RS-2.  I read raving reviews of each, but I see mixed feedback on each.  For example, for every 10 reviews of the MS-2 that say it's everything the MS-1 is and so much more, I also see a review of "Where'd all the bass go?"  The Mad Dog fans point to the LCD line as the next step, but that's quite a pricey set of 'phones.  The HE-400 looks good, but it sounds like it may not be so different from the Mad Dog.

Any thoughts?

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Sucks when there's money burning a hole in your pocket and you can't figure out where to spend it...

...First world problem... :p

I say follow your heart. No matter what else you buy, you will always be wondering about the upper side of the Grado line. Screw the reviews - you need to listen for yourself and make your own determination. For every review bad-mouthing a TOTL 'phone, there are others applauding it. It's simply the nature of audio.

Of course, there's always Stax... :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Ha--I was afraid someone was going to mention that S word (Stax).

The sad part is that I don't have many local retailers available. Best Buy is about as good as it gets for headphones in Chattanooga. I think there might be a store in Atlanta that carries Grado...

So auditioning is difficult here.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 7
You need a head-fi meet in your area! They are great for trying a pile of different headphones and also hanging out with other head-fi geeks.

And by "listen for yourself" - I mean buy them! You can always resell them here on head-fi and consider the small amount you might lose as the "rental fee" that satisfied your curiosity. :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 7
I do agree--a head-fi meet in Chattanooga would be helpful indeed. All 6 audiophile nerds might show up!

But seriously, it sounds like I need to try and organize something...

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Any thoughts on an MS-2 or RS-2?  I had originally thought about a pair of HD650s but many say that the Mad Dog will overlap it a bit too much.  With any of those choices, I'll have to ebay quite a bit of random junk to get any one of them.

If I was truly smart, I'd be happy with the ones I have.

If I was even smarter, I'd use the long distances between home and the nearest retailers as an excuse to fire up the bike and take a day trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back