What's the next step up from the AudioEngine A5s?
Feb 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

t1337Dude

100+ Head-Fier
I can't really imagine ever leaving my A5s, but I'm curious what would be the next significant step up in price/performance? I really never pictured myself spending thousands of dollars on audio, but within the last 2 years - here I am with my A5s, my X-Fi Forte, my Grado SR-225i, and my 5.1 Energy RC-Mini bedroom system.

Thanks guys.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 16
Hmm, you'll see a definite step up with a better DAC. I went from a xfi to a styleaudio emerald dac and there was definitely a difference in clarity, instrument separation and the biggest difference being the sound stage

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Are you still thinking purely a desktop setup or maybe moving up to home theatre?

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you still thinking purely a desktop setup or maybe moving up to home theatre?

I still do most of my music listening at my computer, so I'm thinking a desktop setup.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, you'll see a definite step up with a better DAC. I went from a xfi to a styleaudio emerald dac and there was definitely a difference in clarity, instrument separation and the biggest difference being the sound stage

Anybody second this? Am I going to see $200 worth of improvement?

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 16
Generally you will see the biggest difference moving up to better speakers, and your source/dac next. Maybe the better question to ask is what's your budget?

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 16
I highly recommend the Swan M200MkIIIs. I've tried several high end nearfield monitors on my desktop, including the $2000 Dynaudio BM12As, and did not like the sound at all. Nearfields just don't seem to sound musical or enjoyable.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody second this? Am I going to see $200 worth of improvement?

I think it's more like you will need to spend a lot more on speakers to see a real improvement. And even if you get a real solid pair of monitors that will cost you 2.5x the price of an a5, your dac will still be the weakest link.

That's just my own experience with A/Bing my old and new dac back when i just got my A5s.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Calling bull on the DAC upgrade. Granted that an X-Fi Forte is not the pinnacle of transparent audio, it's still more than good enough for a pair of A5s or comparable monitors.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 16
Ok, let's say someone (me) is looking at upgrading my Audio GD Compass to the Dac 19 DSP/C2 combo along with upgrading my AV40's to the Audioengine A5/AS8 sub. If I wanted to stay with active speakers in a small computer as transport desktop setup, what better options would I have? Bear in mind the A5/AS8 were designed so the sub is properly integrated, not tacked on.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 16
Once you get into studio monitors, there are tons of options there. Mackie, KRK, Behringer, etc. Easily into $1k+ per side.

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 16
Skip the new dac and get new speakers. I have mine plugged into my headroom system, which is basically a $500 dac and the improvement while present, isn't as good as $700 speakers and a $200 dac.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 16
I have the audioengine a5s and I was using and xfi titanium with it. I found it really harsh on the ears...I was actually gonna send the speakers back but I went and got a $200 maverick d1 dac with some opa627s and it made a huge difference. Much smoother and cleaner. I tried my speakers with a friends stock auzentech prelude and my dac side by side and the difference was huge. Hes buying a maverick d1 dac now...

The audioengine 5s can sound really nice with the right input...

just my 2c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back