What's the next big leap in sound quality from KSC-35s?
Apr 19, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Globetro

New Head-Fier
The KSC-35's were the first headphones that really impressed me in terms of how much better the sound quality was from my previous crappy headphones. After the KSC-35's, I also bought a pair of Grados SR-80, and in all honesty, while they sounded different than the KSC-35's (less bass, most noticably), they really didn't sound any better to me.

So my question is, what is the next big jump in sound quality from the KSC-35's? I'm currently considering purchasing a pair of IEMs for use at the gym (because they insist on blasting the same 10 songs on their speakers over and over), so I'm currently looking at the UE-super.fi5pros. Will these have the same dramatic increase in sound quality over the KSC-35's, as the KSC-35's do over some
crappy headphones? (I'll be using them with my video iPod).

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 16
take this for what it's worth... but once you get away from the included crap, it's all somewhere in the same ballpark. of the cans i've owned, sr-80, hf-1, hd-580, ety, er-4, porta pro, they were all somewhere in the same dimension. once you get a clean undistorted sound with a good range, you're really just fine tuning. i know that there will be many people who will yell at me for saything this, but the average person never needs anything more advanced than somthing from the porta pro line. everything else is just the hobby.
having said that, i do love my headphones... and my hobby
580smile.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 16
You would need to go up the grado food chain the rs-1 for such a large difference as ksc-35 vs. stock fones.

Biggie.

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 16
MS1 is the logical step but its more dry / flat, and less colored than any of the other sub $200 grados. IMHO the MS1 lacks the bass bloat of the KSC35. So while it is a step up in a lot of ways, it could be considered a step down if you really like the bass bloat of the koss.

IMHO the HF1 is the next step, because its the only Grado that has the bass bloat to match the koss, while the mids are more tame than any other $300 grado, yet they are still forward. After that is the RS1, but IMHO its upper mids are more pronounced than the KSC35 or HF1.

You might also want to consider the K240s and DT770. But they both have their flaws too... K420s is muddy and might be too conjested to really consider it a big step up, and the DT770 has some recession between 350-900 Hz, that makes guitars and male vocals sound thin.

Never heard one before, but the DT990 might be a worthy candidate.

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 16
From ipod use, I do support your choice of super.fi 5pro's. You won't be left wondering where all the bass has gone, but it has great soundstage for IEM, and wonderous detail, and more... So it shares some of the same qualities, adds a few more of its own, and adds isolation. A natural step up from the KSC-35's if you aren't interested in trying some different.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Globetro
The KSC-35's were the first headphones that really impressed me in terms of how much better the sound quality was from my previous crappy headphones. After the KSC-35's, I also bought a pair of Grados SR-80, and in all honesty, while they sounded different than the KSC-35's (less bass, most noticably), they really didn't sound any better to me.

So my question is, what is the next big jump in sound quality from the KSC-35's?

First, what kind of sonic direction do you want to go in? You can move toward better neutrality and truth to the music, or you can go in the direction of euphony, i.e. not so neutral but more fun, extra bass, etc. Deciding this will help determine what headphones to look at next. It depends somewhat on what musical genres you listen to, but people can often be classified as bassheads (slamming bass, more 'fun' sound) or "airheads" (i.e. liking neutrality, airiness, big soundstage).

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 16
If you like the sound signature of the KSC-35, I'd say SR225. Keep in mind I'm referencing from my PortaPro 2s, but when you go from them to the SR225s it's like lifting a veil. I got exactly the same feeling as going from stock headphones to the PortaPros.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
take this for what it's worth... but once you get away from the included crap, it's all somewhere in the same ballpark. of the cans i've owned, sr-80, hf-1, hd-580, ety, er-4, porta pro, they were all somewhere in the same dimension. once you get a clean undistorted sound with a good range, you're really just fine tuning. i know that there will be many people who will yell at me for saything this, but the average person never needs anything more advanced than somthing from the porta pro line. everything else is just the hobby.
having said that, i do love my headphones... and my hobby
580smile.gif

You actually said it very well. It is the truth. Not everyone has the means or desire to get into the hobby.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

So my question is, what is the next big jump in sound quality from the KSC-35's? I'm currently considering purchasing a pair of IEMs for use at the gym (because they insist on blasting the same 10 songs on their speakers over and over), so I'm currently looking at the UE-super.fi5pros. Will these have the same dramatic increase in sound quality over the KSC-35's, as the KSC-35's do over some
crappy headphones? (I'll be using them with my video iPod).

Reviewers here are saying the Goldring DR150 is a like higher level
Portapro/KSC-35/KSC-75.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu

I have to disagree. What you said is only the case for someone who's really clueless about their specific goals for audio reproduction (i.e. doesn't have any and is just blundering around in sonic circles).

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I have to disagree. What you said is only the case for someone who's really clueless about their specific goals for audio reproduction (i.e. doesn't have any and is just blundering around in sonic circles).

I agree with your disagreement.

Apr 20, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 16
This is the problem with audiophiles. They can never see things from the point of view of a regular consumer. The regular consumer may not want to spend all the time and money that an audiophile would.

Personally, I let my friends listen to my stuff and if they should listen to my SR-225s and like them but say $180 is too much money for them, I can understand. I'd recommend SR-60s and they'd still complain about price and complain that they aren't as good as my SR-225s. So something like the KSC-75s are a good point on the price/performance curve for such people who comprise a good 95% of people. These guys are 128 kbps mp3s listening people who think $300 is pricey enough for a DAP, and $20 is the most to spend on headphones. (no offense to the OP, I'm just generalizing about average consumers, nor am I saying that their point of view is not a valid one)

The stock bud to KSC-35 step is that first step that yields the largest improvement. To get that sort of jump again will cost you improvements in source, an amp, and new headphones. So if you want it, it will cost you... at least a good 20x what that first $20 step did. If all this doesn't sound daunting, then welcome to life of spending a large amount of time here and a deal of money. Try some IEMs to start like the ER-4P/S or E4c expect to drop $200 on whichever you pick.

BTW, the average consumer does have concern for sonic goals as only audiophiles/hobbyists do. I shouldn't have to repeat that not everyone has that interest. They just want better sound, cheaply and easily. We are different. Of the cans dougmwp mentioned that I have heard, I can readily say that I can hear significant differences between them. Some people may not, we could go into why that's the case such as quality of source, quality of amplification, quality of files, experience etc. However all that costs money and takes time to learn about and develop.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

My thinking lately has been similar to what dougmwp stated. I was getting excited about possibly ordering the UE-super.fi5Pros, but then after some thinking, I was worried that they wouldn't really sound much better than my cheapie KSC-35's. Or maybe they'd sound slightly better, but not $200 different.

I listen to a pretty varied range of music... rap/hip-hop, pop, rock, some classical here and there. I think I'm more interested in a pleasing/"fun" sound versus an accurate one. I don't need super, thundering bass, but I do really like the "crisp" bass of the KSC-35's. I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile by any means, as I think my ears actually aren't very "refined". For instance, I can hear the difference between 128kbps MP3s and 160kbps, but any higher quality than 160kbps sounds the same to me.

I guess it would help if I went to a shop with a lot of high end headphones and see if I can hear the difference in sound quality.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

My thinking lately has been similar to what dougmwp stated. I was getting excited about possibly ordering the UE-super.fi5Pros, but then after some thinking, I was worried that they wouldn't really sound much better than my cheapie KSC-35's. Or maybe they'd sound slightly better, but not $200 different.

I listen to a pretty varied range of music... rap/hip-hop, pop, rock, some classical here and there. I think I'm more interested in a pleasing/"fun" sound versus an accurate one. I don't need super, thundering bass, but I do really like the "crisp" bass of the KSC-35's. I wouldn't classify myself as an audiophile by any means, as I think my ears actually aren't very "refined". For instance, I can hear the difference between 128kbps MP3s and 160kbps, but any higher quality than 160kbps sounds the same to me.

I guess it would help if I went to a shop with a lot of high end headphones and see if I can hear the difference in sound quality.

Well, when everyone starts out you could say that their ears aren't very "refined" but that comes with time and $$$$ (to try out stuff long term). So it really boils down to what you want. You're certainly welcome to enter our hobby, but just be prepared to spend a lot of time listening to music and reading here. My point is that not everyone wants or needs that and that you should consider where you stand.

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Reviewers here are saying the Goldring DR150 is a like higher level
Portapro/KSC-35/KSC-75.

I second the recommendation for the Goldring DR150's. The share the same basic sound signature as the titanium-drivered Kosses (KSC75) which you might like. They are a bit brighter than the KSC35's and Portapros, but have a good amount of bass to boot. They are much more forward and are really like the titanium-drivered Kosses taken to a much higher level. The mids are sparkly and the sound is more forward than the Kosses. Search the threads here as more reviews are popping up by the day.
These are a tremendous value at their current price of around ~$130 shipped from the UK (although out of stock from the most popular retailer). I don't expect these prices to stay the same as many budget audiophiles are starting to discover these great cans.
icon10.gif
Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back