What's the most you would pay for a pair of speakers?
May 25, 2006 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

felixkrull6

500+ Head-Fier
This was inspired by the thread about the $50,000 pair of speakers.

What's the most you would pay for a pair of speakers? Not some HT system but just a pair of your dream speakers that you could realistically obtain at some point.

Realistic can be interpreted in multiple ways but for me it means that a person that makes $30,000 a year but doesn't see himself making anymore in the future and does not save or plan to can not imo realistically buy a pair of $50,000 speakers but others will obviously see it differently. Although, please no scenarios involving "if I win the lottery".

My personal vote is for somewhere in the $20,000 to $30,000 range sometime in the far future. I love headphones but I love speakers even more.

May 25, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
With the money I'm making now, it'd be $1500 a pair. But keep in mind that I'm still a student.

I'm glad you mentioned that your a student, for students out there think about what you think you will earn, not some pie in the sky number but something that is close in terms of what you are studying and how hard you are willing to work.

May 25, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 35
I wish I was a student who could "throw away" $1500 for a set of speakers...
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 35
I knew a guy who wanted a nice Porsche. So he researched used Porsche's to find the right one and he worked at night delivering pizza. In a year or so he had enough saved to pay cash for the car he wanted. The money didn’t come from any domestic operating fund.

If you want something- you can get it. Depends on how much you really want it.

Mitch

May 25, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 35
i plan on setting myself a £650 target to diy a pair of floorstanders. id be more than happy with that. im not really in search of audio nirvana/purity, but it would be nice to have a hifi that i built myself. plan on spending about the same amount on a millet pre/source selector and a pair of power amps to compliment.

its a hell of a lot of money for me, but it will be worth it.

May 25, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I knew a guy who wanted a nice Porsche. So he researched used Porsche's to find the right one and he worked at night delivering pizza. In a year or so he had enough saved to pay cash for the car he wanted. The money didn’t come from any domestic operating fund.

If you want something- you can get it. Depends on how much you really want it.

Mitch

I totally agree with you, that's why I'm curious about what people will spend or at least think they will spend in the future. I encourage the students out there to think outside of their current situation...once you get a job your views on costs and what you think you can afford will expand dramatically.

May 25, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
I'm glad you mentioned that your a student, for students out there think about what you think you will earn, not some pie in the sky number but something that is close in terms of what you are studying and how hard you are willing to work.

Ok. I figure that within the first couple years after graduation I should be earning somwhere between 30-40K annually. I'd want to spend about 7k or so in the whole shebang, cd player, receiver, speakers. I figure I could go to 3.5k for a pair of speakers then. Whether that's an affordable target, I have no clue, but I would expect the speakers to last atleast 5 years before I get tired of them.

Too bad I allready voted.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit
I wish I was a student who could "throw away" $1500 for a set of speakers...
rolleyes.gif

Anything is possible, as long as you really want it. If you do, you won't mind working 4 evenings, plus the entire saturday, each week in a supermarket. And I hardly see anything audio related as "throwing away" money. A good set of speakers will last years.

May 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Anything is possible, as long as you really want it. If you do, you won't mind working 4 evenings, plus the entire saturday, each week in a supermarket. And I hardly see anything audio related as "throwing away" money. A good set of speakers will last years.

That's just a consolidating/self assuring talk. I'm already working full time during summers and winter vacations as well as part time when I study. Unfortunately, one, most of the money goes to pay for the school and school related expenses, most of what's left goes to saving, two, taking additional work load is not an option, at least not during semester, taking 4 technical electives is already stressfull by itself. When I come out of college next semester I want to have some buffer in the bank instead of a $1500 set of speakers. Of course, if you can afford both a balance in a bank and speakers, good for you.

May 25, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzJackRabbit
That's just a consolidating/self assuring talk. I'm already working full time during summers and winter vacations as well as part time when I study. Unfortunately, one, most of the money goes to pay for the school and school related expenses, most of what's left goes to saving, two, taking additional work load is not an option, at least not during semester, taking 4 technical electives is already stressfull by itself. When I come out of college next semester I want to have some buffer in the bank instead of a $1500 set of speakers. Of course, if you can afford both a balance in a bank and speakers, good for you.

I suppose the main difference is cost of education. For the moment, I'm still living under my parents roof. School is not all that expensive here either, compared to other countries. But like I said, if you really want to, it should be possible. You theoretically could do without the buffer in the bank, right? It's all a matter of setting your own priorities.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

I suppose the main difference is cost of education. For the moment, I'm still living under my parents roof. School is not all that expensive here either, compared to other countries. But like I said, if you really want to, it should be possible. You theoretically could do without the buffer in the bank, right? It's all a matter of setting your own priorities.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think cost of education is a very good point. My parents have to support my brother and my own education, each of which costs $47,000 a year not including 5 round trip Hong Kong to London flights a year for each of us and our regular pocket (spending) money. If you add up the costs, it's absolutely frightening: well over $100k a year on our education! Schooling in England is very expensive and I am extremely grateful for having such wonderful parents.

I'm also very lucky that my dad is actually fairly interested in hifi equipment as well! He worked very hard to earn every single penny and I think that he deserves to spend it on whatever he wishes. I just calculated that my whole education will cost my parents little over $600k just on school fees alone. The thought of which makes me very uneasy. Am I really worth that much? If my brother and I didn't exist, my parents could have $1.2million EXTRA to spend! Imagine the possibilities! The only thing I can do is work as hard as I can to justify the money that was "invested" in me.

May 25, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 35
Not everyone's the same, some people may never make $100k a year, not to mention $100k a year after tax. But if you want to live rich, marry someone who has a decent income and delay having kids.

May 25, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 35
I never really use speakers at the moment, so it would probably be less than 1,000 for me.

Alot less.

Like 0.

Maybe when i have a place where I could use speakers for more than 1 song without hearing crap about what im listening to or how loud it is, then maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back