what's the most versatile suit for someone young
Apr 27, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #31 of 64
My advice (as someone who worked in a very upscale men's clothing store when I was in college, and wore suits every day for 10+ years) is as follows:

If you have to buy one suit, it should be something that you can wear to a job interview, for more formal events that might pop up (e.g. weddings), or even funerals.

Given this, I'd recommend a solid charcoal grey suit as a first choice, and a dark navy as a second choice. Not black, as it's a bit too formal for a business setting. The suit should be either two or three-button, center vented, pleated trousers, and a year-round tropical wool. You can wear a nice, conservative tie and shirt for business, and jazz it up a bit for more relaxed settings with a more colorful shirt and tie.

A number of folks have mentioned the importance of a good fit. I can't stress this enough. Find a brand that hangs well on your particular body type, and then find a good tailor to do the fitting. The best suit in the world will look cheap if it doesn't fit right. That said, like anything, the best fitting suits tend to cost more (not a hard-and-fast rule, but in general it's true). If you're lucky, you'll have one of those frames that suits hang well on coming right off the rack...I never had such luck. I needed to get the sides taken in, have the collar lowered, and don't even get me started about the trousers.

If you are a difficult fit, I'd strongly recommend going to Brooks Brothers and looking into their executive separates. I have a buddy who swears by them, as they allow him to get his large upper body and smallish lower body into a suit with less tailoring that fits really nicely...oh, and quality garments too.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #32 of 64
I've got one black suit and I find that I can wear it to almost any occasion. You can really dress it down with a nice t-shirt or golf/polo shirt instead of your traditional button down. Personally, I can't stand the navy blue/white shirt/red tie combination, but to each his own
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by romesaz
I've got one black suit and I find that I can wear it to almost any occasion. You can really dress it down with a nice t-shirt or golf/polo shirt instead of your traditional button down. Personally, I can't stand the navy blue/white shirt/red tie combination, but to each his own
biggrin.gif

It's a nice suit I'm sure, but it's not appropriate for an interview. If it's the only suit you own, it's got some limitations.

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #34 of 64
im with the black single breasted 3 button guys on this. ive had one for 5 yrs and its never let me down. swapping shirts, pants, ties, its always the right one for the job. the non descript nature of the black means that you draw attention to the other parts of your outfit, allowing you to get away with a lot more
orphsmile.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 64
also important are the shirts you match it with. i say get one nice white dress shirt, dont be afraid to spend money on it. then get a few other nice shirts in different colours and styles.

make sure you get french cuff's and nice cufflinks too! they instantly up your style points more then anything in a suit outfit

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #36 of 64
You need something you can wear to interviews and funerals. Black is too flashy for interviews without question. This leaves charcoal and navy and charcoal is better for funerals so that would be my choice, navy second, black is not acceptable if you will interview.

3 buttons can tend to be a bit flashy, I would prefer 2 but use your judgement. Absolutely no 3 piece suits for interviews

Pinstripes are fine, maybe preferred if you are overweight, but keep them light.

I agree that fit is super important, go with a well dressed friend (male or female) don't believe what the salesman tells you, commissioned salespeople are good at telling people what they want to hear, not what they should hear.

Don't skimp on tie/shoes/belt/shirt

cufflinks are no good for interviews, neither are french collars, or spread collars. Don't tie a fancy knot, use a windsor or similar.

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #37 of 64
Go conservative: Navy blue suit, center vent (you can try side vents if you are thin), 2 buttons (3-button can be your second suit), and try to get good material (Super 110 is good) as it will help the suit drape better.

For an interview:

White shirt (make sure you get measured for this), slightly conservative tie, burgundy with a bit of a pattern would probably be a nice choice.

Save the french cuffs and links for later. You don't want to be flashier than the interviewer.

Black shoes are fine, as are cordovan or dark brown. Make sure your shoes match your belt. Make sure your shoes are polished.

Make sure you also get a nice pair of dark navy wool socks, with a small pattern.

This is a conservative big firm lawyer interview outfit, so spice up as your personality dictates, but remember that you can show your flash AFTER you get the job.

Apr 27, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #38 of 64
Speaking of the shirt, if one is attending an interview, PLEASE spend the $1.50 or so that it costs to get a shirt professionally laundered and starched. I've seen several candidates with sharp suits who looked unprofessional because they didn't have a decent shirt and/or it wasn't well pressed.

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #39 of 64
remember - if you anticipate wearing your suit often, it might be a good idea to get TWO pairs of matching pants. your pants WILL wear out faster than your suit, so to avoid that 'shiny' pant look, two pairs of pants please.
wink.gif

anyway, i second the dark grey suggestion. i have mine, 3 button, no vents with very very subtle and extremely fine light blue stripes. mmm. stylo. heh.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #40 of 64
I bought a midnight blue suit and I've found it to be very vesatile as a first year college student.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
remember - if you anticipate wearing your suit often, it might be a good idea to get TWO pairs of matching pants. your pants WILL wear out faster than your suit, so to avoid that 'shiny' pant look, two pairs of pants please.
wink.gif

anyway, i second the dark grey suggestion. i have mine, 3 button, no vents with very very subtle and extremely fine light blue stripes. mmm. stylo. heh.
biggrin.gif

This is very good advice.

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #42 of 64
I wouldn't go ventless, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Also, it's a good idea to invest in a pack of collar stays, so you have more than just the ones that come with your shirt.

When you have your suit tailored, make sure the tailor remembers to unsew the pockets and vent (if the suit has one). Many suits have the pockets and vents sewn shut when you buy them.

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #43 of 64
would you guys wear a single breasted, 2 button navy blue pinstriped suit to an interview? The pinstriping is widely spaced, and subtle. How bout that same one to a dinner with a university president?

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
would you guys wear a single breasted, 2 button navy blue pinstriped suit to an interview? The pinstriping is widely spaced, and subtle. How bout that same one to a dinner with a university president?

Sounds appropriate for both to me. Just to make sure, how widely spaced are the pinstripes? Does the suit look traditional or are the pinstripes so far apart as to be making a fashion "statement"?

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Sounds appropriate for both to me. Just to make sure, how widely spaced are the pinstripes? Does the suit look traditional or are the pinstripes so far apart as to be making a fashion "statement"?

inch spaced - but they're thin, single stripes. I think its a lighter blue on navy. It's a burberry suit, and they're pretty conservative in design. Nothing like the boss baldessarini suits with the 3 thick stripes alternating or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back