what's the most common resistor you guys use?
Oct 16, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, guys, when I was hunting for resistors for my MINT and PIMETA projects, I noticed that tangent used VD RN55 sery instead of my usual Yageo 1%.
I know they are both rated 1%. Is there significant advantage of RN55 over Yageo?
I find that RN55 is 1/8W, so maybe not QUITE sufficient for PIMETA. But RN60 which is 1/4W is too big to fit in either MINT or PIMETA board.
Question comes down to:
what's the most common "generic" 1% resistor you guys use?
What's the most common "higher-end" resistors you guys use? RN55/60 sery?
Do you pay $2 per resistor for 0.1% resistors in some high-end projects, such as M3, PPA, Dyna-something?

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 31
Ok here's a technically correct but completely useless answer: the two most common resistors are air == close to infinity resistance, and hookup wire == close to zero resistance
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 31
I'm guessing the Yageo is the most popular 1% and the Vishay-Dale is the most popular 0.1% for board-mounted work. There's a lot of boutique stuff out there like Caddock and Mills, some of which may or may not be mil-spec.

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
Ok here's a technically correct but completely useless answer: the two most common resistors are air == close to infinity resistance, and hookup wire == close to zero resistance
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

you didn't get my question, re-do it.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
I'm guessing the Yageo is the most popular 1% and the Vishay-Dale is the most popular 0.1% for board-mounted work. There's a lot of boutique stuff out there like Caddock and Mills, some of which may or may not be mil-spec.

VD's 0.1%, which sery? PTF sery is too darn expensive... anyone paying $3 for every resistor?
k1000smile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 31
vishay rn55 resistors are "under-rated" to comply with/meet military specs.

i use 22 ohm resistors in alot of my amps. i bought a whole bung-load of holocos from handmade, and they amke AWSOME output "loading" resisotors. just the right anount of noise when used in 1 or 2 positions on a headphone amp.

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 31
For signal paths resistors, I tend to use either Riken, Kiwame, or Audio Note Tantilum. To drop lots of volts, Mills/Reidon. For other places, I'll use Vishay Draloric, though I don't think they are any better or worse than Yaego/Dale/Panasonic, etc. I also like PRP in the signal path if the carbons are over doing it. I find Holco's to be too bright and hard sounding. I've not tried Caddock, so I can't comment there. I don't think 5% or 1% or 0.1% matters for audio. Resistors are easily matched, so instead choices should be for sound quality.

Oct 16, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
For signal paths resistors, I tend to use either Riken, Kiwame, or Audio Note Tantilum. To drop lots of volts, Mills/Reidon. For other places, I'll use Vishay Draloric, though I don't think they are any better or worse than Yaego/Dale/Panasonic, etc. I also like PRP in the signal path if the carbons are over doing it. I find Holco's to be too bright and hard sounding. I've not tried Caddock, so I can't comment there. I don't think 5% or 1% or 0.1% matters for audio. Resistors are easily matched, so instead choices should be for sound quality.

wow, so many choices, where did you get them, mouser?
etysmile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #9 of 31
Quite a lot of mixed results here, I got generic 1% metal films as that what the local jaycar store here sells and I picked up a few packs of them that covers the 10 to 1M range in most standard sizes in E24, so for prototyping and playing around on the bench that is what is handy
I used vishay rn55's through the pimeta’s and mints I made; also the PPA has them too with rn60's on the stepped attenuator that goes with it
my dtpakiller amp being smd and not having that many resistors needed I went 0.1% Vishay/Dale's throughout it as it was only like $10 for them compared to $3 for 1% and only building it once I didn’t care
My dac I just used generic KOA Speer 1%'s as they were all smd as well but I don’t know why I didn’t get 0.1% for the analog section of it as there were only a few of them but not that I really care

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er
Quite a lot of mixed results here, I got generic 1% metal films as that what the local jaycar store here sells and I picked up a few packs of them that covers the 10 to 1M range in most standard sizes in E24, so for prototyping and playing around on the bench that is what is handy
I used vishay rn55's through the pimeta’s and mints I made; also the PPA has them too with rn60's on the stepped attenuator that goes with it
my dtpakiller amp being smd and not having that many resistors needed I went 0.1% Vishay/Dale's throughout it as it was only like $10 for them compared to $3 for 1% and only building it once I didn’t care
My dac I just used generic KOA Speer 1%'s as they were all smd as well but I don’t know why I didn’t get 0.1% for the analog section of it as there were only a few of them but not that I really care

so you don't worry RN55 being only 1/8W and may blow itself, right?

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9

right.

if you put 1/8 watt through ANY resistor in a "normal" headphone amp you probably need new ears or headphones anyways. *excludes amps designed to drive elecrostatic, and very low efficency headphones. further exception made for bias and power suply resistors in high voltage tube amps*

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
right.

if you put 1/8 watt through ANY resistor in a "normal" headphone amp you probably need new ears or headphones anyways. *excludes amps designed to drive elecrostatic, and very low efficency headphones. further exception made for bias and power suply resistors in high voltage tube amps*

....I should have used those RN55 instead of KOA generic ones,
but those RN55 look so much like sausages... funny
k1000smile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9

None of the resistors will ever see anywhere near 1/8 of a watt in any of the circuits that I used them in and if they ever did I would be more worried about the rest of the parts besides the resistors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimeta parts selection guide
Are 1/8W Resistors Sufficient?

1/4W resistors are the most readily available sort and the board will accept standard 1/4W resistors, but it takes extraordinary circumstances to make the circuit put more than 1/8W through one of the resistors.

Under abnormal loads, you could conceivably put more than 1/8W through R8. It comes down to a question of how many buffers you have stacked on the outputs and what the output load is. With a 4x buffer stack and a dead short across the output, you can definitely burn up an R8, if the power supply doesn't quit first. Even under lighter conditions, like trying to power speakers, you could cook an 1/8W R8.

Also there are a few parameters that set the wattage rating of a resistor and the main one is physical size, these RN55's are rated to 1/8w to have their mil spec standards over a wide temperature range and other condition that they have set in the standard, yet there are widely available 1/2w resistors that are of the same physical size just being generic branded and so if you like you can say that these 1/8w RN55's would be able to take 1/2w just that they may fall out of mil spec ratings but I wouldn’t say that they would go 'ohh, we're over 1/8w, time to release the magic smoke' just they would be getting mighty warm by then

There are tolerances and limits in lots of electronics parts and you can push them if you know how they have an effect (but if you can help it, keep everything in spec)

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 31
brand? feh, who cares. Xicon, Vishay, whatever. You think 100ppm makes a meaningful difference in a feedback loop where the resistors are 10's of Kohms different?

Metal film has a better SNR than carbon film but both have SNR way above the audible range.

The difference only matters where the signal has to pass through a network of several resistors. I once built a DAC out of a big pile of 10k carbon film resistors . . . .

On the other hand, the prices are not so very different. Personally I have a huge (5 or 6 pounds) assortment of 5% carbon film resistors from 10 ohms to 9.3 megohms and buy packs of 50 1% metal film of whatever i forsee needing for audio work.

Carbon comp. is less inductive than metal film but less stable over time.

Thinking that carbon composition resistors are "for tube amps" is borderline silly, but they are often used in tube work for that authentic look and possibly authentic sound.

I have a Wavetek LCR55 which should be sensitive enough to match resistors if i feel the need to (Even has a little trimmer for the 20 ohm range to zero out test lead resistance), but i really don't see much variation in current production resistors.

There's even an argument for buying a large quantity of the widest tolerance you can find, and using your DMM to match them if you need something really specific. Almost all resistance applications are not value-critical and really just need a ballpark range, granted that some parts need to be closely matched with each-other.

There's this guy in the ukraine selling russian military surplus 1/2W metal film resistors in 10% tolerance for really cheap on ebay . . . unfortunately he seems to have no idea what he's talking about and doesn't even mention the ohm values in his auctions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back