What's the logic behind baby on board signs in vehicles?
Apr 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 75
George Carlin is that you?
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Lawyer on board" would probably be more effective.

You really need to patent that if it hasn't already been done - seriously - make a buck while you can.

If I am screaming around corners sideways in the wet and I chance upon such a vehicle I would slow right down and do all I can to ensure the safety of this child. I really would - I dunno, I guess I'm old fashioned.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 75
I've been told (hearsay alert) that they're meant as a heads-up to rescue workers if the vehicle has an accident - meaning roughly "check any nearby hedges and ditches for babies which might have been thrown through the windscreen".

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 75
The original (and intended) meaning of the signs was actually subtly different. The idea being that in the event of a crash, if the bodywork of the car was mangled, then a very small child may become lost in (or thrown from) the wreckage, and if all involved were incapacitated, that child would not be looked for and not found.

A handy piece of plastic on a rear window would be much less likely to get hidden in that way, and thus be a warning to any emergency service personnel.

Unfortunately, this has been hijacked by idiots, with any number of variant "*ludicrous animate or inanimate object* on board" signs, and its value is of course lost.

Handily, the amount of associated detritus that seems to fill the cars of anybody also carrying a baby manages to fill this void, and the point becomes somewhat moot.

Those '*moron* on board' signs are an odd personal bug-bear of mine, and I really don't know why I find them so annoying.

EDIT: Thanks Henry, beating me as I ranted.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been told (hearsay alert) that they're meant as a heads-up to rescue workers if the vehicle has an accident - meaning roughly "check any nearby hedges and ditches for babies which might have been thrown through the windscreen".

It is true. The reason why they are not used so much is the introduction of child seats and seat belt laws. The child stays in the car. They were very relevant when kids (and I was one) could slide about on the back seat, squabble and stand up in the middle to talk to your parents.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #22 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is true. The reason why they are not used so much is the introduction of child seats and seat belt laws. The child stays in the car. They were very relevant when kids (and I was one) could slide about on the back seat, squabble and stand up in the middle to talk to your parents.

Oh I remember those days. I also remember riding in open vans and trying to "car surf." Oh for those dangerous old days.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the worst drivers have these things.. I'm thinking.. You have a baby on board & drive like a maniac??

No I do not. I mean "If" I was driving like a maniac and came up to a car with this sign, I would slow right down so to avoid what might happen in the below statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really. I thought you were joking and laughed, then I realised this was serious and now I feel sick and ashamed, that I did laugh.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were joking and laughed, then I realised this was serious and now I feel sick and ashamed, that I did laugh.

My work is done.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 75
Yeah, the probably think so. Not sure if it makes a difference though..

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 75
11448861.jpg
on board?

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #28 of 75
In my book, it means I despise their presence.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh yeah, if there is one rule to life, it's that people will talk about and draw attention to their kids to the point of everyone's complete boredom and apathy.

As a father, I totally agree. I do not bring up my kids every other sentence, because I do not want to hear about others' kids every other sentence. Mine are the center of my world, not everyone else's.

Edit: Damn, I just brought up my kids
frown.gif
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #30 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my book, it means I despise their presence.

You hate children?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back